Neander engine

An interesting development currently under discussion on the wastewatts yahoo group - comments would be most welcome:-

--- > Ken Boak wrote:

>List, > > > >These compact, vibration free diesel engines may herald a new market for > >diesel motorbikes, hybrid cars, outboard motors and generators. > > > >
> > >Characterised by twin crankshafts geared together, and twin > >con-rods, they are particularly low in vibration. This is almost like > >the rhombic drive developed for the Philips Stirling engines. > > > >Could this be the diesel technology for the future? > > > > > >Ken > > The first issue I see with this engine is that it can not be vibration free > with a large reciprocating mass -- i.e. the piston(s) and connecting rods. > > Had they built a horizontally opposed twin, I would have believed it. > > On the other hand, it does show some interesting advantages: There is > little uncanceled crankshaft vibration, but there is still vibration to > pound on the bearings. It has counter rotating output shafts -- a BIG > advantage in many applications and a way to cancel some torque loads. It > is built using more modern techniques -- both for good and ill. > > Will it work? I think so. > > Is it smoke and mirrors? Maybe in part. > > Dave 8{)

It is my understanding (but bear in mind I am no expert) that the primary out of balance forces can be 100% corrected by simple bob weights on the crankshafts. While the twinned con rods, always swinging in opposite directions at the same angular velocity, avaiod any secondary forces.

That said, Fred Lanchester's version was indeed a flat twin (and later ISTR a four) while the rhombic drive stirling of course has the displacer moving in opposition to the power piston.

I guess this is all drifting a bit OT. I will post the link to uk.rec.engines.stationary newsgroup to see what opinion is there.

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

"Nick H" wrote (snip):-

Thinking a little further on this, I guess the deviation from simple harmonic motion due to con rod angularity means that the primaries cannot be

100% balanced as suggested - still a deal better than a conventional single crank though.
Reply to
Nick H

Didn't Velocette play with a similar idea pre-war? Though in that case they used two separate cylinders. IIRC, a problem lay with the loads imposed on the main bearings due to the 100% reciprocating weight, counterweights.

Going by the site images, the model demonstrated has rather large mains, perhaps they've learnt something. :-)

The adoption of overhung crankpins and a centre drive on the two cylinder makes for compactness. I'd like to see how the valve gear was to be driven though, or have I missed something. The site is a bit long on PR and short on detail.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

The Roarer? Perhaps Kim can fill us in with the details bit IIRC that was more like half a Squarial.

How easy is it to make an overhung crank strong enough for diesel duty though.

Designed to fish for investors no doubt.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

No, unlike a Squariel it had the pistons rising and falling together whereas the Squariel had 180º cranks.

No a big deaL especially when engine output is taken from between the mains. Consider a conventional engine where all the output gets transmitted through the last crank web.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

"Tom" wrote (snip):-

Rummages under bed for dog-eared copy of "Motor Cycle Engines" ;-) Ah yes quite right. In which case one wonders what the advantage of the Neander design is over the Velo?

I was thinking of the famously unreliable long-stroke Scott cranks (similar overhung, central PTO layout). But I guess if Roger Moss can make cranks which will reliably handle considerably more power than the originals while working within the same envelope dimensions, then with a clean sheet design it shouldn't really be a problem to design for diesel loads.

Nick H