OT - AVG Anti-Virus Software

Posted to uk.rec.engines.stationary & uk.rec.models.engineering

We had the paid-for version of AVG on both our machines at home, but after some serious problems with it over the past week we have deleted it completely.

Problems manifested themselves by the boot-up taking 20 minutes, AVG itself not coming on-line and continuous HDD activity.

The other thing we noticed and didn't like was that it froze everything while doing updates on start-up, sometimes with nothing to show that it was actually running.

Having taken it out, everything is back to normal.

I have contacted Grisoft to see what they have to say.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Been using the freebie AVG for a couple of years now, since Symantec stopped supporting the version of NAV with which PC was supplied. No problems so far - touch wood!

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

In message , Nick H writes

I've been using paid-for AVG and firewall since January last year, on two machines (one Win98 and one WinXP Pro) with no problems at all on either box. I'll be renewing the licences when they run out, unless anything better comes along. I'm happy with it.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

We use Zonealarm for a software firewall, and our BT Modems have a built-in hardware firewall, but I think it was Zone Alarm and AVG which had the battle for control over the machine, and the problems manifested themselves in the screw-up. Our other machine at home has the same software setup and has been OK so far, but there have been occasional conflicts on that one as well.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

Peter - may be going against the grain here, but have never used any antivirus software either for the home network or for the lab. If you are using a stable set of software with only well known commercial pakages added infrequently, you really don't need it if you follow a few simple guidlines.

What we do have is a two level hardware firewall router (netgear router etc) with nat to keep out external hackers and the family have strict instructions never to open any email attachments without reference to me first. Software install is also disabled on the family machine, as well as drivers etc, to stop the kids running unchecked material. We also don't use Microsoft email and ie applications but Thunderbird for email and Firefox for browsing, both of which can keep out much of the unwanted crap if properly setup.

We've been running the home / lab systems like this for 5 years or more, "always on" cable modem, with no problems at all and my youngest lad seems to spend half his life on the web. Gut feeling suggests that the antivirus bandwagon has more to do with FUD that any real ongoing threat...

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQuayle

Ah, I did have some trouble with Zonealarm - mostly hanging on shut-down. removed it and now rely on hardware firewall in router.

Reply to
Nick H

Had a similar problem with my free version. Found it was due to a setting in the shedule items that started a full HDD virus search when the computer was booted up. I disabled in the scheduled items menu and everythings OK now.

Chris.

Reply to
rack2000

Hi Peter, I use E-Trust AV (Paid for) & Zone Alarm (Free) for the Firewall. I have recently started getting ZoneAlarm trying to upgrade but when I try to do it it says it cannot work with E-Trust (Even though it has been working with it fine for years). At the moment I have told it to remind me in 60 days so I can look for a remedy.

Reply to
Dave Croft

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:03:03 +0100, Prepair Ltd finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

I think Zonealarm's more likely to be the culprit!

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
(Waterways World Site of the Month, November 2005)

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

I have removed both programmes now, and it is stable once more.

AVG and Zonealarm both have reported problems on the Net, and we have decided to run without both for a period to see what effect it has.

Looks like the earlier Zonealarm versions were better....

Peter

Peter A Forbes

(snip)

PA> AVG and Zonealarm both have reported problems on the Net,

*Everything* has reported problems on the net!

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

I disable all scheduled scanning, and do a manual one weekly. Adaware is used for spyware scanning, and Spybot Search and Destroy for spyware blocking, and additional scanning.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Hi All After using Zonealarm for many years it did start to slow my system down but was recommended `Comodo` for a firewall and I can say its excellent,free and uses much less system resources than ZA. Steve Ps never had a problem with the free version of AVG either.

Reply to
Steve

Peter,

I've only just completed a horribly complex logical recovery of a hard disk that was totally and utterly trashed.

Grisoft appears to have been the culprit in this case. I could be totally wrong, but I doubt it.

My vote is for AVG, despite PC Pro (if you can believe a word they say) coming up with a more effective alternative, the name of which escapes me at present.

I have both paid-for and free versions of AVG and tend to use only the free version, as I cannot determine any difference in virus detection ability between the two.

Odie

Reply to
Odie Ferrous

Thanks for that, the extra info has convinced me that it was AVG and Zone Alarm fighting over who got to play with the system first that has caused the problems.

Having disabled zlclient.exe in the (run) registry, lo and behold, vsmon.exe popped up again today and starting causing problems, so I have removed both Zone Labs and AVG altogether, and things are a lot better now.

The firewall in our BT business modem is very good, and I used the Leak Tester on the Spinrite site to make sure it was up to what BT claimed for it, so don't feel to naked with no software firewall!

Suggest we close the issue now, many thanks to all who contributed.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Hi Peter, Sorry to hear of your Windows problems. One solution is to buy a Mac, which doesn't get viruses.

Registry? What's that?

Naked isn't necessarily bad.

Have a good weekend, amigo! Rob

Reply to
Rob Skinner

Sorry, I can both recognise written language and use a keyboard...... Macs are great for those folks who can do neither of these things, and need to have pictures to follow :-))

Where you go to get married?

Depends who you are naked with....

Going to fix some engines into steelwork for shipping if the weather stays a little less damp than today.

Are you two going to Portland next month?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Touche!

Gulp!