OT, but I bet some of you have an answer ;-)

Hi, Chaps.

I wonder of any of you could recommend a business somewhere near Eastleigh, Hants who could do a good job of sand/grit blasting four rather rusty but structurally sound motorcycle wheels for me. The chrome is peeling off in long strips and I'd like to get them back to bare metal for enamelling or (possibly)powder coating. If I have to tackle them with a wire brush and Hammerite I will, but the temptation to farm out some of the work is strong ;-)

Any leads appreciated, and if anyone here has used powder coating for wheels I'd be glad to hear how effective it was.

Gyppo

Reply to
J D Craggs

I've never had this done but I have some doubts about what you're suggesting. I assume the rims are chrome on steel. If so, chrome is much harder than the steel and the grit blast may wear away the exposed steel faster than the chrome causing a mask effect. This could result in a very uneven surface.

Can't help you with a blaster in your location but I believe the likes of Motorcycle News carry various ads for wheel refurbishers.

John

Reply to
John

Blasteth not your rims!!!

Take them to an electroplater & they will electrolitically strip them, THEN physically prepare the surface for copper, nickel and chrome.

Blasting them before electro stripping just takes off more material than you need.

BTW, unless they are something very special, you will be far better off buying new ones.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn. May the Fourth Be With You.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Many thanks to Kim, John, and a couple of others who responded by e-mail. I will slap myself firmly on my 'Luddite' wrist and take the wise counsel of others, which is of course why I asked here.

Thanks again.

Gyppo

Reply to
J D Craggs