OT - Cold galvanising

Anyone have any recommendations for "cold galvanising" paint? I need to make running repairs to my galvanised trailer... I see that Draper do some in a rattle can.

Reply to
Peter Scales

CHARLES HAMILTON

It certainly is, and it's very good but very expensive. There's an American firm which does fairly pricey industrial aerosol paints, available from engineers' merchants, the name escapes me at the moment, they do a zinc coating which seems to be a bit cheaper than galvafroid, but I don't know how many spray coats you have to put on to be equivalent to a couple of brush coats of Galvafroid.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

"Galvafroid" isn't that one of Galifre's moons :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

Dead simple - find a can of each brand, then just buy the heaviest one - more zinc.

Davids 182 is pretty good.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Galvafroid is, I think, the only aternative. Have used it many times and it is the only alternative to having the item re-dipped.

Cheers, MartinH

Reply to
martin hirst

There's another one, that's an "own brand" from one of the factors and is very good. Red print on a boring plain white label, but it's so unmemorable that I can't even remember who sells it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've found that 'Rust Anode' works very well, however that was 20+ years ago. Two drawbacks are (were) the effort and time that is required to get the block of settled zinc back into suspension after being left standing and it required a special oily solvent.

I found some info at:

Regards Roger

r(dot)glover(at)btinternet(dot)com

Reply to
Roger Glover

In message , Andy Dingley writes

Thanks to all who replied.

The consensus seems to be Galvafroid. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a stockist locally, and the one place that could get it for me wanted 66 quid + VAT for 1.9 litres. I only need a quarter pint!

I ended up with a tin of Davids 182 to try. I also came across a product called Zinga, made/distributed by Prosper engineering. It touts itself as being better than Galvafroid. Unfortunately, it looks like I shall never know, as their Stockport sales office doesn't answer my email.

I'll let you know how I get on with the Davids 182.

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

Some electrical factors stock it. It *is* expensive, but shouldn't be quite that much!

Cheers Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

Dulux 'paint centres' stock it

Chris D

Reply to
Chris N Deuchar

For reference -

list Galvafroid as follows -

200ml @ £5.91 + VAT 1900ml @ £38.24 + VAT

John Ambler Sussex, UK Return E-mails to snipped-for-privacy@skiprat.net

John Ambler

In message , Peter Scales writes

Bad form to follow-up one's own posts, I know, but I take it back - I have just had email from the Zinga people,

:

"Sorry for the delay in replying - the Zinga team has been rather depleted by holidays at the moment.

In answer to your question please find the prices below:

1kg Zinga =£11.25 Zingaspray =£12.75

Delivery is charged at cost."

I may well invest in a kilo.

Regards