OT COMPUTER PROBLEMS

Gentlemen< i have a problem which is obviously self inflicted but my keyboard appears to have reversed itself i>e> caps lock on small letters caps lock off capital letters< also you will notice that i have strange characters>

any ideas please

martin p

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I'm guessing that you have somehow activated the shift lock feature, depending on the version of windows this is allegedly possible by playing with left alt-left shift and numlock keys.

It is also possible that you have changed the default keyboard under control panel.

I have tried various sequences of keys and cannot replicate the problem under w98se.

Take a look in start-settings-controlpanel-accessibility options.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

In desperation I turned of the computer and on restart it rectified itself ? but I still dont know what I touched. Thank you.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

As long as this thread is running......Does anyone know how to get into the Bios of an old Tosh Tecra 520 or have any spare memory for said beast? ttfn

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Normally, hit the ESC or DEL key while booting up, or look for a message which tells you which key it is to go to setup.

It's F2 on Compaqs, DEL on AMI Bios but varies for others.

Memory is a Sodimm, what size are you after?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Esc & F1 should work, Roland.

Reply to
David Beet

Many thanks for the Help. Esc and F1 works and David also pointed me at a download of my missing Tosh utility. In answer to Peter's question: the biggest I can get into a single slot at a reasonable (i.e. NOT new!!) price :-) regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

There will be a limit of how much you can put in thje slot, no point in buying a

256mb card only to find that it won't be recognised by the bios... :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Bit like putting a modern hard drive of say 20gb into an old machine, it wont recognise it as such.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Gentlemen,

By the way my computer seems alright now, thank you for asking everyone :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Our older desktops only take 256mb DRAM modules ( X 3), while the laptop I use has a 128mb max sodimm chip size ( X 2).

We're off to the US soon, so I can have a look over there for Roly if he can't get anything reasonable over here.

Did you like the crystal set ?? :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Am I right in assuming that a larger drive can be partitioned into smaller notional drives and thus they can all be recognised on older machines?

Regards,

Kim

Reply to
J K Siddorn

There are limitations on partition sizes according to BIOS and which type of partition.

FAT16 is limited to just over 2 gig FAT32 and NTFS (NT File System) are OK for over 500gb

We usually make the first partition on all our drives 2gb, then we install DOS and Xtgree Gold, followed by the rest of the drive as a FAT32 single partition for Win2kPro. The boot partition does NOT hold the main operating system files apart from DOS, so that should we lose the boot sector we can still pull data off the drive if we set it up as a slave on another machine.

The only large drive we have partitioned differently is on our storage/server machine which has a 160gb drive split up into four partitions/drives with a section each for the various members of the family to use as they want.

Peter

Prepair Ltd