OT - for our aviation nuts.

10 minutes of Brabazon

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=miRV-SgYx7Q

I never knew this existed - "Flight of the Phoenix" crash. The pilot was
Paul Mantz. Other stuff too....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=n82nN_lqn58

Sobering operational B17 footage.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe36UMRkRbk&feature=channel

Model Vee 12 engine running

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mutb7KgA9NM

And the giant 12 engined Dox10 sea plane in the English Channel

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7h1beFHjHno&feature=channel

I'll stop now ...........
Regards,
Kim Siddorn

Very interesting.
Also extremely good is a war time documentary on the Utube, It's in about 4 parts. It concerns the USAF based in Corsica with Thunderbolts and their missions to Italy to bomb and shoot up as much German war effort as possible. So dangerous, the guys really are brave, I'm not sure I could do it. Sorry I can't just find the link at the mo, but it's really worth watching if you find it.
Julian.
Thanks Kim, You know I always wondered why they didn't show the "pheonix" landing at the end of the film. One of my all time favourite films - the piece with the coffman starter - brilliant! Kev

Found the first one:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ3WzV686tA

Julian.
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:03:04 -0000, kimsiddorn wrote:

Did you spot this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X_7Xt2ga-s

I bet there was several changes of underwear required after some of those.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Yes, Dave, seen that one several times!! I like the Jumbo's best, especially the Kai Tak(?) one! Had a similar experience in November 1996 en route to Mauritius. Flew from Newcastle to Gatwick via "City Flyer Express" in a little Twin Turbo-Prop thing and got an apology from the Captain on final approach that he was trying to land into a 75 mph gale from about 2 o'clock to the strip. We were just about sideways when we hit the blackstuff. My then partner was the worlds worst flyer, had a hell of a job getting her on the onward flight even though it was a Jumbo!!

Kim,
Very interesting clips, as somebody who has aviation interest in his blood I was pleased to learn something, I knew the Brabazon had contra rotating props but I didn't know it was powered by eight radials all sitting at angles. I naturally assumed it would have been four engines. The Phoenix film was very sad as if you watch carefully the aircraft was badly built, it broke its back when the wheels touched. As somebody who spent seven interesting years helping to rebuild a B17 I always find the film of one very interesting.
Martin P

That film showed some familiar sites for me. The open test bed shown early on in the film (known as "the Wing") was still in use in the 1970/80's for such things as bird ingestion tests etc.I've destroyed a few engines from that control panel in the film.On the opposite side was an open Pegasus (Harrier) test bed,walled on four sides but no roof. the plant was right on the approach path for the runway and when we ran with nozzles vertical up air traffic control were informed by a hotline so they could warn the university air squadron Chipmunks to steer clear. Mike.H.
Mike,
I heard a story once about engine destruction testing which I would like to think is true. The British designed and built a gun for firing chickens into engines to see how the engine faired, the design was sold to the USA who built it but ran into difficulties as they kept destroying engines. They asked the British for help and described the problem and the answer they got back was " defrost the bird first" oh if it were true :-))
Martin P

The largest bird we used was a 4.5lb chicken fired into a Viper (21" dia intake).Quite impressive to see/hear an engine go from 13760 rpm to zero in the blink of an eye.engine destroyed internally but the casings contained the damage.Result one shredded chicken,one wrecked engine and one step forward in certification.apart from birds some of the other things ingested on test ,stormwater,sand,2 inch ice balls and strips of anti radar neoprene. There are a few ingestion films on Youtube that make interesting viewing. MH

In my days of employment in the Glass Industry I remember seeing one of these "chicken guns" being used to test windscreens on aeroplanes and trains. What a mess!!!

There was a "Chicken Gun" at the Brooklands site of British Aerospace, (ex Vickers) Weybridge. It was huge affair, hydrogen powered. I never saw it in action, but you could hear it from most parts of the site when it was in action. AFAIK one of its last uses before the site closed was for testing Intercity 125 windscreens. I am sure the frozen chicken story is an urban myth, it was certainly circulating in the early '80s when I worked there.
Stuart.

There was one at Hatfield Aerodrome too. Back in the very early '70s, I worked in the Buying Office as part of my Commercial Apprenticeship with Hawker Siddeley, and had to place orders for, inter alia, some of the chickens for the gun - one order specified 'as killed; weight 1.5lb. +/-5%'.

All the orders I placed were for fresh chickens.
--
Regards,
Andrew Marshall, G8BUR, M0MAA.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wcALjMJbAvU&feature=related

Mike.H.
.
The new Russion fighter - see those canards working!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YBPMmO6RsHA

Flown with verve & enthusiasm. No drogue on landing?
Regards,
Kim Siddorn