OT I suppose - A Bonham's sale

Jonathan Minns has been responsible for developing 28 museums of technology, including the British Engineerium in Sussex. Part of his extensive collection is being auctioned. Some rare & interesting stuff, including a model of "Locomotion 1" made by one George Stephenson.

Kim Siddorn

This is not the stuff which fills the cabinets at the Engineerium is it? I do hope not as it is at least as interesting as the main exhibits, in fact the hot air engine cabinets are one of my main reasons for visiting that museum.

Reply to
Nick H

Unfortunately it seems that the Engineerium is closing. Their website has this message; " Sadly, after serving the community for some thirty two years, the Trustees of the British Engineerium have been unable to raise the funds necessary to continue, and have finally and most reluctantly closed the museum.

The collections are to be sold on site by Bonhams on 10th May with viewing days on the 8th and 9th May, entry by catalogue."

Reply to
Fred

Oh well, that answers my question then. The confirmation that it is to close upsets me rather more than perhaps it ought, I 'sponsored a brick' there as a nipper and visited only last year to remind myself how good it was. For me, it wasn't the large exhibits that made it such a great museum, but the unique collection of small early engines, patent models etc in all flavours, steam, hot air and IC - I can't think of anything similar which is accessible to the public and it is a great pity that it will now be dispersed.

Reply to
Nick H