OT: My weekend

Gentlemen, Well I started yesterday at 07:30 stood with others by the Bedford railway line waiting for the Duke Of Gloucester to pass by on a steam hauled run from St Albans to York return only to find out that it had failed in the week and had been replaced by Union Of South Africa which I had photographed a week earlier on the east coast line. I then started to finally remove the front brake cylinders on my Bedford ready to fit new ones, on fitting the first cylinder I managed to shear one bolt and stretch the other, I then checked the others and all show signs of necking, the Bedford now sits on axle stands waiting a fastener company to open their doors tomorrow when I shall replace all eight. John (Manders in Magpie mode) this one is for you, I've been "given" a Band saw mechanical hacksaw, needs a little tidying and a new blade other than that it works a treat. Also can be used as a Band saw in its vertical position. As soon as it is up and running my current mechanical hacksaw will be for sale, I bought this at Burford rally for a nominal sum, repaired the motor and its done me proud.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Nice one Martin but I'm not sure if you've got a band saw or hack saw. It's easy to tell the difference. One is a backwardy forwardy sort of movement and the otherone is a long saw that goes round a number of wheelie things. In theory the band type is better as it cuts all the time where the hack saw only cuts on one stroke. I've never figured out which stroke that's meant to be though. Mine seems to work equally well wichever way I fit the blade. Anyone know which it's supposed to be?

How come you've not got any bolts for the wheel cylinders? ISTR they're

1/4 UNF studs & nuts.

John

Reply to
John

Its 1\4 UNF setscrews which hold the cylinders on and I don't have UNF of any size in stock. That's why I am waiting for fastener company to open tomorrow.

If you go to this link

this is what I have been given, exactly the same with a different name on.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Second picture along.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

We've got some here, never used them in yonks but we have a few dozen.

We're off to Nottingham shortly to collect a charger for repair, but can bring some back via Robert for you tomorrow if you get stuck.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Ah yes, I remember. The cylinders are held on with set pins. It's the adjusters that have studs. 1/4 UNF in both cases. Peter's beaten me to it but if you need some, I should have some I can post. You may struggle to find a supplier with them on the shelf. Ebay has a number of suppliers. They're quite cheap as well.

Tha saw looks nice. If it's like one I've seen, the wheels bend the legs if you ever use them. Other than that, they're good saws.

John

Reply to
John