OT - Mystery electrical thingy

Hello all,

I recently bought a "standard transmitter" off E-Pay, more by chance than anything else! I just left a holding bid & got it. Here it is ...

and the one next to it is the salient mechanism within.

It is housed in a well made sturdy teak box & has a date of 1945 along with a broad arrow & an Air Ministry crown. It was still in service in 1956.

Trouble is that I don't have the least clue what it does. It seems to me that it might have to do with direction finding, but I'm guessing.

Can anyone come up with an idea?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Looks like test gear with those screw terminals, more than fitted kit.

I suspect that it's a test signal generator for something to do with position sensing, either synchros & resolvers, or maybe potentiometers (Selsyn transmitters).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Indeed, the clue is in the calibration dial 0-360 degrees.

Reply to
crn

Agreed, still used to transmit positional information from scanner when I was in the radar business. This is the best 'primer' a very quick google turned up:-

NHH

Reply to
Nick H