OT: Networking at home

For anyone wanting to hook up a simple home network, remember that most operating systems now incorporate the necessary to enable a quick and dirty system within minutes, but you do need the network cards and a router.

We (egged on by our friend Tim in the USA) bought some Intel PCI network cards, a new US Robotics router and that's about it. Win2KPro recognises the hardware pretty much instantly, you have some enabling to do in the OS but not much at all, and the router also includes a printer parallel port for sharing the printer between PC's, and also has the facility to service an external modem which is then accessible over the network by all machines.

Boards are about £10 or less from the newsgroup (uk.adverts.computer) and the routers are coming down in price, we paid $126 from Tim, but they can be got for £50 or less now.

We have four machines at home, three of which are linked, the fourth will be as soon as I get a minute and the cable. Note that you don't have to have the other machines running, the network just connects to those that are on.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

We too have a local area network (LAN) set up at home with 4 pC's and our lap-tops. 2 of the pc's are on XP, 1 on 95 and 1 on 98 we use a simple networking hub and it has worked fine for a couple of years.

Mike

Michael J Tanner, Organiser of The Portland Steam & Vintage Show.

Mike Tanner (Portland Steam & Vintage Society)

I've got 8 pcs(win XP and 2003), 2 print servers, 1 web server(linux) and 1 gaming server(linux) on my home network, all linked together with a nice

3com 100mbps switch. Use the network for gaming with my family and neighbours mostly.

I like networking :) !

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

And a room which doesn't need the radiator turned on I would imagine :)

Well, as somone mentioned networking, I will admit to a fair sprinkling of computers at home running a mixture of windows, linux and solaris all connected via a cisco switch. With an adsl connection they can all share internet access and I can communicate with the servers at work. However, my excuse is that information systems research is my day job :-)

However, I can also claim a Myford ML7 on my network (ok, only rpm, X/Y positions and bearing temps, but the microcontroller talks to one of my linux boxes :)

best Matt

Reply to
Matt

So Gents.......... How do i actually go about networking my Listers to my Lada AND the kettle?......... do i actually need the hubs fitted on the car or will the spiders weave thier own web? Will the result actually get one (or both) of the Listers to autostart without 2 hours of cranking AND make the coffee at the same time? Does one actually need EIGHT computers to do this job? ...or is the resultant heat disipation used as the direct replacement for a central heating boiler to heat the entire street?

*
  • Smile & the world smile with you ........ Fart, and you're in a world of your own.
*
  • Regards
Reply to
One-Pot Workhorse

There's one computer for each person, can't have 8 people playing on one computer now can you!? They aren't all in the same room, they are spread over 3 houses. :)

LOL, i've taken this for use on my messenger screen name. :)

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

Martin P wrote > snip>

A friend has a new Puegeot which repeatedly opens the sunshine roof when it starts to rain, defying all attempts to fix it. It does it when you operate the screen washer too. He stays out of car washes!

The agents said jokingly that it's just the French having a little joke with the English climate.

I'm not so sure they're wrong ..............

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Like it! Many thanks for the humour.............

I'm sending this off my one and only PC (unless you count the Sinclair Spectrum that's still hanging around somewhere...............)

Brian L Dominic

NB Rumpus

Web Sites: NB Rumpus:

Friends of the Cromford Canal:
Mid-Derbyshire Light Railway:
I may work for British Waterways, but my opinions are my own.

Reply to
Brian Dominic