OT - News.Individual.Net

I had this today - I know a lot of us use it, so thought I'd offer a headsup.

"Dear users of News.Individual.NET,

effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as a fee-based service."

"The fee for an account for News.Individual.NET is 10 EUR per year (annual payment), that converts to only 0.84 EUR per month. The price includes VAT at 16%."

There is a lot more, of course, but at under seven quid a year it sounds pretty good to me. What do you all think?

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Kim,

1st April - April fool?

Ian.

Reply to
Ian

Unfortunately if you read

just seem to have picked a bad date to apply the new charges! I will think about paying for a while.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

I started to use individual.net as the (part of a paid for package) Pipex news was so slow. Now we are changing ISPs I'll give the new one a go. I've also got Wanadoo available.

(Tight as a newly ground duck's exhaust valve)

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

An option that is little more expensive is Clara News but with access to binary groups, see:

Richard H Huelin

About 60p a month seems a small price to pay for a service that is consistently reliable and timely. I've tried a number of others and found Clara slow and unreliable. There software was also intrusive (I'll decide my own home page and help URL thanks!) Just for fun I tried Eclipse again this evening. After a lapse of two years they now seem to have SE and ME so I'll run them in parallel until the end of March and see what transpires. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Checked out mailgate but it seems to be its usual self, showing no postings later than the 11th. My isp is pipex, reports of whose usenet service have not been good, so it looks like I'll be paying up - or there's always google groups!

Reply to
Nick H

Picked that up quick enough, perhaps google (beta) is worth a look after all.

Reply to
n_highfield

The benefit of the independent newsfeeds is that you are not tied to your ISP, and while Google and Yahoo do provide a service for viewing posts in nearly all groups, they make you jump through hoops and have advertising on-screen (Yahoo)which is a pain. Replying is also a bit awkward and requires yet another password and username...

There are some mechanisms for accessing newsfeeds from other than your ISP, but I haven't gone into it. BT Broadband is not that bad, probably drags its feet on daily refreshing of the groups but generally has been quite good.

There has been some discussion about the News.Individual.Net charges elsewhere, one comment being made was that the payment was a bit clunky and done by a third party, not a good idea IMO.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Pipex is useable compared to Google. However if you rush it, and click too many posts before the previous one is displays you can exceed your permitted number of connections at which point it decides your password is invalid and unless your newsreader ignores this you have to reenter the user name and password :-(. If you are on broadband and your logon has a % in the middle, your news user name has a @ in the same place. That took some headscratching :-)

There are alternative free newsservers and I've just registered with a polish one, but I aint gonna reccomend one as 1. its too early to tell which ones will stand the increased load from AOL dumping newsgroups

*AND* news.individual.net going pay only and 2. if one reccomends one in public and it then gets too popular, it may not cope well with the extra load or may go commercial itself.

The group alt.free.newsservers specilises in this sort of stuff ;-)

Any ideas anyone for dealing with a couple of gallons of petrol with water contamination? It may also have two stroke oil in it at 50:1 or

100:1 but that shouldnt affect things too much?
Reply to
Ian Malcolm

Dead or alive? Did the poor creature have to drink the stuff?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Let it stand so the petrol and water separate out, then pour off the petrol leaving the water behind. Water is heavier than petrol so should sit on the bottom, the oil is lighter than water so will probably stay mixed with the petrol.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Oh dear, must I use a smiley for even the most obvious attempt to raise a smile ?

Tim

Tim Leech

Last century, the trick was to strain it through a chamois..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Alas Grasshopper, I knew after I'd posted it, that there would be one who was not around when petrol can not from a bowser..

From a even more cynical view point, could I enquire as to whether you have ever washed a car, or horror of horrors washed a window? :-)

Tom

Tom

Reply to
Tom

More creativity, pleeeease..

Reply to
Tom

Gentlemen,

I can only assume that as usual I am the odd one out as I have not had an email regarding n.i.n about charges, does that mean I will dissapear in the forseable future :-((

Mart> I had this today - I know a lot of us use it, so thought I'd offer a > headsup.

Reply to
Campingstoveman

You've been dissapearing a lot just lately....:-))

Good trip back?

Peter

Prepair Ltd

six and a half hours stopped for pee, may have paseed a mobile speed gun at

75 mph o> >
Reply to
Campingstoveman

Hi Martin, I think you will. I haven't been informed directly but I spent an hour fighting the system yesterday & finally managed to pay. I think it is worth paying. (If we must)

Reply to
Dave Croft