OT-Newsgroup Access

I have been trying to find a way to access the newsgroup through the ADSL connection and not through dial-up, but it seems that it is not possible on the normal basis.

Existing pop3 and smtp access to easynet works a treat on ADSL so no need for the dial-up modem, but I cannot configure Agent to access the newsgroups for some reason.

Has anyone else tried this and found a solution ?

I've got the dial-up modem on the network as a back-up anyway, and the ADSL turned off while I am using it, otherwise things get very confused indeed!

Google groups is seriously behind with updating, better to use the PC at work if I have to.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Check "User & System Profile/DialUp" Check Dial Up and ensure "If another connection is already open use it"

Worls fine here over the network.

Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

Reply to
Paul Evans

connection is already open use it"

Also check if the adsl uses the same new server.

AJH

Reply to
Andrew Heggie <andrew.heggie

Open a command prompt and run:

telnet newsserver 119

(where 'newsserver' is the address of your news server - e.g. news.ntlworld.com)

If that connects ok then you at least know that the connection is fine and that the problem seems to be with the Agent configuration.

If it doesn't connect then you'll likely get an 'unknown host' type error indicating that the news server you're trying to connect to doesn't exist, or a 'connection refused' type error most likely meaning that something is blocking news port (119) somewhere along the line. I'm not using Windows or I'd do a little more testing for you!

If you're running a personal firewall on your machine, or a firewall on your network, it *could* be that it's blocking outgoing connections to

119 when running via ADSL (and not via dial-up for some reason). Unlikely but not impossible - whilst everybody knows about web and email, news does tend to get overlooked as a useful service for some reason.

Oh, I remember using a Windows product a couple of years ago that didn't appear to believe that you'd ever want more than one network interface in your machine. It would simply default to trying to use the 'first' one it saw (which happened to be the first network device found by the PC's hardware on startup) no matter what I tried. It's possible Agent is trying to do the same thing, and always ignoring your ADSL connection and trying to talk via the modem, but as Agent's a well-respected piece of software this does seem unlikely.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Peter,

Click on 'Help with e-mail'

There are some words highlighted in red towards the bottom of the page that may be relevant.

HTH

-- Roger

-- snipped-for-privacy@XXbtinternet.com Remove XX for correct email address

Reply to
Roger Glover

Thanks for that, Roger, there is a bit of a shuttle going on between BT's various departments, all of whom appear to be OK on the 'regular' helpline queries but get stumped pretty quickly when you throw a non-standard query at them.

We have changed our outgoing smtp to snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com and that works OK, the fix for the newsgroups is not 100% and I am waiting for easynet to come back to me on that.

I can still use the dial-up modem or wait until we get into the factory and use the PC's there.

The current problem is to get the ADSL modem (3Com) to talk to BT Broadband, we have everything else set and running.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

connection is already open use it"

I have got that set already, Paul, but thanks for the suggestion.

The new method, which is not 100% involves logging on with my full email address and easynet password to auth.news.easynet.co.uk, but it doesn't work properly. Waiting for the tech support guys to come up with a solution.

Google is OK but takes forever to update, while easynet's news feed has updates within seconds almost of me posting something.