OT : Trailer insurance

Re trailer insurance :

If you are suitably decrepid, SAGA are amazing. When they sent my renewal for my Toyota LWB 4WD (220 pds comp!), I noticed they said I had no disconnected trailer cover. As I didn't even know they did it, I rang & asked for a quote for a 12ft 4 wheeler @ 1000pds valuation.

Response was 8 pds comp. Don't think I've ever paid for anything so fast......

Colin

Reply to
Colin Osborne

We insure ours through the company as we don't have any private vehicles of our own (no point really, we have two vans to use at any time)

I think we have it insured for more than your figure, and also in use rather than just laying in the front of the house, but well worth the costs just for the peace of mind.

I seem to remember something odd about the trailer insurance on the road, but can't remember what the h*ll it was now. Not related to who owned or used it, but something more unusual than that. I'll have a word with the brokers and see what it was.

Because of our multi-driver, multi-vehicle policy we are paying about £1K per vehicle per year (3 vans) but that is fully comp and we included load insurance up to £20k while travelling as well, on our general policy, but not while parked overnight...:-((

Peter

Peter A Forbes

One thing to be aware of if you have trailer cover on your vehicle policy - if the trailer gets nicked, whether coupled or not, bang goes your no-claims. Most policies also stipulate in the smallprint that the trailer should be wheel-clamped and/or hitchlocked with approved locks for the insurance to be valid.

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Probably true, I don't know how that affects us as I haven't been down that road, but it is chained to a tree in our garden with a damm great stainless steel chain and Chubb padlock!

Ours is also a little bit too custom to be readily saleable, although the running parts would probably raise a few bob.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Gentlemen,

My caravan and trailer are wheel clamped and tow hitch locked other wise my insurance company would not even consider covering me. I suggested a home made devise but it had to be a known make.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

No wonder they wouldn't cover it, TNT is not considered suitable for the job.

You're supposed to immobilise the trailer, not the thief ;-)

Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Wrong Arthur! If you immobilised some of the thieves it may put off some of the other morons. The courts are one thing you can't rely on nowadays (says he rapidly moving away from the soapbox he had half stepped on to).

JohnR

Reply to
John Rogers

Whoops! Sorry if my previous post caused any offence. Purely a personal statement.

JohnR

message

Reply to
John Rogers

uk.rec caravanning experts don't rate hitch locks of any sort. It seems that the low lifes just chain the trailer hitch to their vehicle and go. The lock can be removed later in a less conspicuous location. Even if it means a replacement hitch is needed, a newish trailer has a high market value.

John

Reply to
John Manders