OT - Video © titles

You would not believe the hoops you have to apparently go through to put a simple piece of text into a video stream.

I have spent the best part of the day trialling various software packages that all purport to do the job, yet they all seem to have serious flaws in what they do or how they do it.

We have 77 files, all widescreen, all eminently viewable and downloadable by man and beast from the web.

Because they are "Not a valid windows format", one package gave up, despite being advertised as being able to handle ALL formats.

The next one just didn't work at all in any way that I could recognise, and I have asked my CC company to start recovery proceedings for the monies.

The latest one does do what it says it would do, but the nice 2.12mb file goes up to 3.8mb after the title is added. Why I haven't a clue, as pixels are being changed from one colour to another, no extra material is added, no extra audio or whatever.

The packet of paracetamol is almost empty, I shall go and find a brick wall to bang my head against...

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Peter,

I could hear the ranting and raving everytime I went outside and our cat spent all day with his ears pricked in the direction of Rushden. :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Have you not tried Windows Movie Maker, free with XP sp2 (or as a download from MS, IIRC requires XP + sp2 though)!...

Failing that, try posting the problem to the news:uk.rec.video.digital group.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Thanks for the thought, I think I may have made some progress since I posted, but the thought of XP is enough to send me screaming away :-)) We only used Win2kPro here and at work.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Would this one do?

free at present and I saw it suggested for making software tutorials. I have not used it myself. Tahiri.

Reply to
Tahiri

I'll have a look, thanks for the url.

I have been through so many packages over the weekend, most of which are very good at one particular thing, but fall flat on others.

Roxio do a big programme called Videowave. Great. Except that it only lets you save modified videos in some strange format that nobody else recognises. Why?

If we start with a .wmv file, add text, we should be able to save it in exactly the same format and file size. Maybe a slightly increased file but not double the size as one package did, or garbled audio tracks as another package did. How in hell do you screw up a audio track when you are adding to the video???

Head - Wall - Bang!

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

I hope you bought more headache pills you obviously need them again, I'm starting to hear strange wailings here in Cople again :-)

Reply to
campingstoveman

What file format was the movie originally shot in, surely not .wmv? I suspect that what you really need top do is apply your text before encoding into the .wmv file.

Reply to
:Jerry:

No, it started out as VOB files (Sony DVD format) but to get the individual scenes/details out, I had to use a.n.other programme to do that, but that one wouldn't allow editing.

We did originally output to .avi but the files were larger than .wmv, so we went to .wmv instead, and also got the right picture aspect ratio which didn't happen with .avi.

You may be right in saying that text would be better at the first stage(s) but this is a steep learning curve.....

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Finally, after trying out eight different packages, I have found one to do the job!

Amazingly, the larger software packages were a nightmare to use and not very intuitive, but AVS Video Editor did the job for me, and although still not totally easy to use, has managed to get the necessary text onto the black border above the widescreen video.

See what you think:

This clip is 1.5mb and only a few seconds long.

The other problem I have had is that the different graphics boards on the computers end up with different aspect ratios on the screen, which is a widescreen TFT. The video editing machine has a graphics board that will output the correct resolution, but my 'cooking' computer doesn't, so I have to check that what I am seeing is what you are going to see also.

I may change the title colouring/size so the 'Portland 2007' is larger and stands out more.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Peter and Rita Forbes 2007/2008 Portland, seems alright to me.

Reply to
campingstoveman