OT - license points

Having just fallen foul of the Thames Valley Constabulary's Man with a Van, I thought I'd check the position with Points at the DVLA in Swansea. You may be aware that points on your driving license stay on it for four years. What you may not know is that as far as a Court of Law is concerned, they only apply for THREE years.

Damn. That would have meant that I'd have had a clean license in May. Ho-hum ...........

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Kim,

What are points on your license for, am I the only one that does not collect them :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

You don't go fast enough, you have the only van I know that grows Moss on the roof.... :-))

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Collect the full set and you win a bicycle

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Nope, no idea what they are either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Didnt knopw the three year bit, but it dont make no differance really, insurers want 5 years worth declared,

Fell foul of the 4 year/5 year thing on my licence the other week, went to hire a van to move house, was refused because i had points on my licence, they ran out 3 months ago under the 4 year rule, but i haddnt sent my licence off to have them removed... was waiting to move then it was free under the change of address thingy,

but barsteward hire company refused to hire to me because they were present on my licence, and pointed out something in their hire agreement.. about half way through a 2 million paragraph small print leaflet, that i should tell them about points for the past 5 years,

Reply to
Gazz

Points can be added together for totting up for 3 years (10 in the case of drink drive). You can have them removed from your licence one year after that. They are spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act after 5 years in the case of speeding etc. I think it's 11 years for drink drive. After that you are not required to revealthem except in exceptional circumstances such as working with vulnerable persons.

So - if you'd had the points taken off your licence and not told the hire company, you may very well have had no insurance.

John

Reply to
John

Reply to
Mike.H.

Hum, I think on the whole it is easier to keep a clean licence...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A lot depends on your annual mileage and where you drive.

Martin and I drive the length and breadth of the country fairly regularly, and it is just going to be a matter of percentages before something/someone catches you out.

Police in Wales are probably the worst, followed by Yorkshire, although the Yorks traffic guys will more often than not talk to you rather than trying to catch you our and send a summons.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Peter's right, I keep a sharp look out for cameras as it is all too easy to slip smoothly over the limit in a very quiet three litre V8. Some years ago, I did experience a 9 month period with nine points & for that time deliberately ran an old red Volvo estate that was happy enough to run up to

80 but it got noisy after that!

Thames Valley got me on a two mile stretch of country road - as in fields on both sides of an A road - that was actually in a 30 limit. As soon as I noticed the sign in the hedgeback, I slowed down, but it's a damn good job I wasn't doing the National limit for unspecified A roads, innit?

A fair cop guv & all that, but it did strike me as a bit mean spirited, the signs were hardly well placed or very visible. Ho-hum..........

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

No it entirely depends upon *how* you drive.

You have to be pretty unobservant to miss the signs *and* the clues that indicate what the speed limit is on any given stretch of road.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You obviously have your halo on show?

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

No just a clean and never sullied licence after 30+ years of driving. I've been stopped precisely 3 times in that period.

Once 'cause I didn't see the blue light behind me as the interior mirror had fallen off (had door mirrors) and he was so close behind that the blue light was out of view. I was also in a strange town following the signage through a complex of multiple traffic light junctions so concentraing rather more on what was in front than behind... He wanted to stop me initially as a tail light was out.

The other two were speeding, one the lights came on as I passed the 30 board at 35mph, the other officer with a hair dryer 38mph around a corner in a 30 limit. I do a very good "terribly sorry officer". B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I once got pulled & breathalysed on the M42. It was in the section where the M42 leaves the M40 & this unmarked car was poodling along doing about forty. I thought he might be pi**ed & gave him a VERY wide berth. He sprouted blue lights & stopped me - I think he was surprised that I stopped straightaway - and When we'd established that I was as pure as the driven snow, I asked him why he'd stopped me.

"You were driving erratically - you moved over two lanes to pass us with nothing else about."

"That's right. You were travelling so slowly that I thought YOU were drunk!"

He took it in good part & away I went.

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to