OT - Website problems - help needed!

All,

I am having problems with my webpages, or in particular, uploading files to them via FTP. The problem comes when I try to connect to Oldengine.org, I get the message "IP Address not known" - unable to connect.

Is this a problem with oldengine.org, or me? I have tried 2 different internet connections at my end, broadband and dial up, but to no avail. The oldengine.org site does not appear to be down either as I can view the pages okay.

Any ideas any techies out there?

Many Thanks

Chris Bedo Kent UK

If you wish to email off list, please use snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk

Reply to
Chris Bedo

Hi Chris, I can't get access to my site either. Must be a problem with the site.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

looks like it's trying to authenticate your own IP address and can't; the ftp server's running but someone's messed up the authentication setup...

You need to find whoever actually runs the site and give them a prod :)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

I'm no expert as many witnesses will testify:-) However I never did manage to persuade WS FTP to work with broadband. A Google search will turn up many discussions of this issue. All offer potential fixes and work-rounds. Tried em all without success! regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Well, as a ley observer who might recognise my computer's carb and even understand how it works in an academic way, but still be unable to change the settings (sic!). I did a Google search, added WWW and got straight in (Telewest Broadband) to the oldengine.org site at 10.56 this morning. Its features all seem to work OK.

Dunno guv, just reporting in ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Did you check out your Firewall settings?

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Thanks Dave, I hoped that was the case! Cheers all for answers.

Regards

Chris Bedo Kent UK

Reply to
Chris Bedo

Hi Roland, For future reference, your problem could have been that you weren't running in passive mode. In the preferences box for the ftp site you're configuring, make sure PASV is checked.

When I went from dialup to DSL, all my ftp programs died until some tech chick explained it to me.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Skinner

All back on line now, and the