OT - you might like these

Big radial

bigger radial

Closer to home - Peter Grieve & friends

Napier Lion broad arrow on the Brooklands test hill

Auto-union V16 restored

A happy new year to all our readers!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Was a regular at VSCC Silverstone with me dad from the late 1960's, so have seen the Bentley Napier at intervals from a comparatively recently created rough and ready 'special' (though I believe it actually evolved from the remains of the Sunbeam Tigress) to a superbly presented vehicle which has generated its own history - does it still have a ruddy great lump of chain running from the back axle to the chassis to control tramp?

I also remember an Auto Union (couldn't tell you what type) warming up up in the paddock as being quite the loudest thing I had ever heard and the unburned fuel in the exhaust made your eyes smart!

Happy days.

Reply to
NHH

I used to do the VSCC at Oulton Park every year and witnessed the Bentley Napier many times, what a beast!! I recall asking Peter Morley why he didn't try a blower on it. Simple reply was "It's difficult enough to handle with

600 hp!!" I also remember seeing him loading it on it's transport, a tipper wagon with two ramps which weren't much more than stout planks up to the floor, Scary!! Speaking of engine noise, did You ever see the V16 BRM? Now that's a noise!! Personally my favourite noisemakers were the ERA's.
Reply to
Charles Hamilton

Is this a good example? Just a bit before my time!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

My mum used to work for the Owen Organisation who funded the BRM & I have a very clever book somewhere in which the car is broken down into colour cutaway drawings printed on transparencies. Thus, you can strip the car down page by page & view any sub system in isolation.

One of my small claims to fame is that I was offered a job on the racing team in 1966 & went to the factory for interview. My strongest memory is that the bloody Vincent-Norton gave trouble both there & back! Hazel came too & was thoroughly warned off the pleasures & pains of being a racing mechanic's grass widow!

I decided against it - what a different life it would have been for a short while. ;o))

Regards,

Kim.

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

I think this is the link to which you refer:

I'd suggest hitting the stop button as soon as you see the car begin to spin if you're squeamish :-)

Julian.

Reply to
Julian