Paul Gardner Engineering Ltd - Auction of engines, Parts and Equipment

"By order of the Directors due to cessation of re-manufacturing Gardner engines"

Auction being held by Edward Symmons on 21st November at Green Lane, Patricroft, Manchester, M30 8AA.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Just got back from there (Had to leave before the end). Prices generally weren't high. 6LXBs ex-buses for 200 quid apiece, the more collectable stuff did go a bit higher but generally nothing silly. An 8LXB marine, no gearbox, went unsold. I bought a few non-engine items, plus a 2UC gardner marine box in obvious need of overhaul, which may end up as spare parts.

Tim

Tim Leech

Just got back, it was a little sad to see, end of an era. A lot of excellent engineered stuff, some I believe going straight in the melting pot. Other prices

8LXB prototype £2000 6LX prototype £2200 5LXCT prototype £900 4LK car engine £3000

I managed to buy 30 books in one lot, they include Ricardo High speed diesel,Bryan Donkin, Mathot, Lucke and Daimlers 50 years 1896-1946.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Challinor

Did the 1L2 spares attract any interest?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

What is happening with the firm? Is this the end or is it just a slimming down operation and shedding part of the firm ?

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I think they mostly sold, for about the sort of prices I would have expected. High tens for crankcases & blocks, maybe low hundred for heads & cranks. I didn't note all the prices. I've owned three 1L2s at different times but don't have a vital interest any more. The heads are more sought after as they can be used on the multi-cylinder L2, but I've had a brand new one gathering dust here for about 15 years.

They've stopped remanufacturing, but will continue with spares and injection equipment services.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Ah, so it was you!

I had my eye on them, but couldn't justify the money :-(

I wondered what the 4LK car engine would fetch, I had to leave before that came up. Surprised it was that much, considering the general run of prices. What did the 4LW generator reach?

Cheers

Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

I was there today, collecting my press, one of the buyers told me that a lot of the engines were heading for Egypt. I already knew that Egypt was the world centre for the L3 & L3B.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I wondered if anyone off the group was their, sorry I did not recognise you.

The 4LW gen set went for £1350, two chaps tried to buy the radiator off it after the sale, as it was the correct one for an ERF that they are restoring , but the new owner would not sell.

The 1L2 bits went mainly between 4 buyers, not enough parts to make up complete engines. Crankcases £100 Blocks £50 Heads £50-£100 Cranks £30-£100 Con Rods £30-£50 Pallet assorted spares £200

LK blocks £200-£260

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Challinor