Pleasant surprise

Gentlemen,

I got a very, very pleasant surprise today, the company I work for currently lease their premises but are have their own place built at the moment and we are starting to have a clearout. I used my trailer the other day for work purposes and got asked by management if I would be interested in disposing of some steel for them and what I got for it was mine. Bare in mind that everything we make in Italy is in 316 Stainless including all kinds of fasteners etc. Yesterday I took my trailer in and removed all of the non stainless and plastic fittings and loaded the trailer with scrap sheet, box sectional frames and a few odds and ends. This morning I trotted off to the scrapman got weighted in unloaded and weighted out. To my delight I found I had just unloaded 240 Kg's at a £1.00 a Kg. I cant wait for the next clearout :-)) So my Dorset week is paid for.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Martin - Check the price of copper!

Regards,

Bob R. Moses Lake, WA USA

camp> Gentlemen,

Reply to
Bob W7AVK

I trust you kept the usefull bits.

John (Champion Magpie)

Reply to
John

eight length of 12 mm rod 18 inches long, a 240vAC axial flow fan, variable Potentiometer 0.6A for said Fan, 240 VAC relays and bases. Shall I go on when it comes to Magpie work you are a close second :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Keep an un-useful bit too. Thin 316 stainless plate (even full of holes) makes a good electrode for electrolytic de-rusting.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Just happen to have a bit, I fetched some more to the scrappy from another source today via a work colleague so we will split the spoils between us.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Correct me if I am misinformed, but doesn't using Stainless in electrolysis release chromium and other metals into the electrolyte? I seem to remember this as the main reason for not using SS. Graphite seems to be a much better option, albeit somewhat harder to get hold of.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Yes, and so what? What it _doesn't_ do is release chromium in a hexavalent state, as is sometimes claimed. Although the waste is more noxious than plain iron, we're not into Erin Brockovich territory.

Not really. Lead peroxide works, if you can be bothered setting it up (and the electrolyte is probably worse afterwards than with the chrome in it).

Reply to
Andy Dingley