Re: Lister Startomatic on ebay

Bit optimistic on pricing with a reserve over £500, and they are not really worth much more than £350-£400 unless you really, really need one.

The later 4kW version might be worth that, but I have had a few through my hands at £100 to £200 over the years and while a paint job does make it look nice, it doesn't add that much value.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Peter Forbes said

How do you know the reserve is over £500, Peter?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Bacon is a friend in the salad bowl of life

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Not a lot of point in having it the same as the starting price.....

Peter

Peter A Forbes

No, - but it might be £200 - or am I missing something obvious ? ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

I am 99.99% sure it was £500.00 with reserve not met when I looked at it, otherwise I wouldn't have commented.

Maybe he has changed it ?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

He has:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ The seller has revised the following item information:

Date Time Revised Information

05-Jul-03 00:50:20 BST Minimum Bid Price

The information the seller can change depends upon the selling format, the time left before the listing ends and whether the item has had bids or purchases.

If an item has received no bids or purchases and does not end within 12 hours, the seller can revise anything in the listing except the selling format (for example, the seller can't change an auction-style listing to a fixed price listing).

If the item has received a bid or ends within 12 hours, the seller can only:

Change or add another category Add to the item description (Exception: If the listing has a bid and ends within 12 hours, the seller can't add to the item's description) Add optional seller features to increase the item's visibility.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Peter

Peter A Forbes

I've been puzzled for some time now as to how an engine can start automatically on demand, I thought you had to crank these engines by hand ! Can someone enlighten me please ? Thanks, Ian.

Reply to
kingsnavy

The generator has an independent section which is a 24V motor, using the same frame but different field windings and a DC commutator instead of the AC section which has sliprings.

They have a sensing device which looks at the output circuit and senses a small load being put across it, and then it operates the motor section of the generator so that it turns the engine over and starts it up (much simplified) It also senses the load coming off and stops the engine.

More sophisticated versions were built, with two sets and a battery set. Small loads were carried by the battery, or the first set would start up if a heavier load was put onto the battery, then the second set was started and came on line if the load increased, and vice-versa if the load decreased,

There are other things as well, like the fuel shut-down solenoid and on the CE/CD engines a compression change-over solenoid as well.

They are quite reliable, until years of operation and corrosion make the relays unreliable.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

"Peter A Forbes" wrote:-

Makes one wonder if he lurks in these parts?

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Probably, he sent me a picture of it, same location as the ebay main picture but slightly different angle, probably one of the other pictures on the auction page, and the price he was asking was £900.00.

Trouble is, there are few people going to spend that kind of money when there are plenty around that can be had for £200 to £400 in working order. Yes, I know it has been overhauled etc etc, but most people want to do that themselves as part of the fun.

Spending a fortune on overhauling something does not guarantee that you will get that money back when you sell it as we have all found to our cost over the years!

It's at £151.00 this morning, with 330 page hits on the counter.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I had a puzzling problem with one of these, it was in the secluded home of a BBC science producer. He had fitted the first inverter battery set up I had seen to cut engine use. I was called by his wife when he was away with a guest for the day. The motor was starting up and immediately shutting down. I assumed it was the inverter battery sensing causing a feedback loop, so I attempted to isolate the inverter and battery pack. Boy did I get the high jump when he came home, apparently the guest had a small mirror with a shaving plug socket, this included a step down transformer. it had been left plugged in so the generator "saw" a load when the dc ran through the transformer circuit.

We still have an air cooled set that was "retired" when vibration got to the relays and wiring. Incidentally the 3 cylinder Lister that replaced it in a chp mode has just clocked 11,000 hours in 4 years and is sporadically shutting down, like the feed to the fuel solenoid is interrupted.

AJH

Reply to
Andrew Heggie <andrew.heggie

I e-mailed the guy to check the reserve,

It is set @ £950 to "cover the costs." Seems a bit steep, after reading the other posts.

Reply to
Rich Fear

This is a problem I've seen several times with Start-O-Matics (the last one was the builders leaving a radio on). Usually the complaint has been that that start batteries are mysteriously flat.

I often thought that a good improvement to the system would be to produce a 50Hz sense current (with an electronic oscillator) rather than using DC, so that small wound loads didn't cause this problem.

I've never seen a start-o-matic younger than about 1975, so I don't know what/if they do nowadays.

Will

Reply to
Will Dean