Re: new to the group

Welcome, 15 eh? Took your time didn't you! I got my first engine when I was

  1. :)

Anyway, tell us more about this pump you're getting, hope you stick around, the more the merrier!

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

Hey Dave, I've been the token Paddy here for while.

Nice to hear from you, John. Where are you from? I'm from Naas originally, but living in North Wales now.

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Hi John, for a little bit of information about a Stuart pump, with a couple of pictures you might try my site at

choose the Stuart pump bar

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Tanner (Portland Steam & Vintage Society)

Hehe, does everyone have a D as their first engine, I know I did, and then theres John here, and Chris (who helped me with my restoration), anyone else?

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

We bought our first D to drive a chaff cutter, but it wasn't powerful enough, so then we went the other way and bought a Lister 12/2 diesel twin and the rest is history as they say.

One thing I would like to say, is that a wider audience exists outside this newsgroup, especially on the USA engine mailing lists. To get into that wider world is not difficult, and the perspective on engines in general is much better than the somewhat introspective view that we seem to take in the UK sometimes.

There are also engine guys in other countries, and in order of numbers the countries (approximately) are:

USA UK Australia South Africa Europe (mainly Holland but there are others in Sweden, Denmark etc.

Contacts between the various groups is generally pretty good, and we have made some very good friends in Australia and the USA.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

I don't know if I would trust those guys in Oz Peter ;) Patrick

-- Patrick M Livingstone Leichhardt NSW

Patrick M Livingstone

To date, I have only met a couple of bad apples in the engine scene, and once known about they are easily discounted.

I have met up in Oz with your good self (and Shannon!) Peter & Kaye Lowe, Reggie & Marg Ingold, the guy who sold you the R&V whose name escapes me right now and Cam Grundy. I spoke with Alan Barlow on the phone at Reggie's just after arriving, but never met up face to face.

All pretty much a decent bunch.

(For the benefit of the newsgroup, Shannon is Patrick's Alsation. Patrick is trying hard to train her to bring spanners, retrieve lost nuts and bolts and act as guard dog for the collection)

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Hi John.

I am young(ish) 25, and fairly new to stationary engines however started with tractors from a very early age. I bought a Lister CS 3/1 earlier this year my first stationary engine. You are certainly in the right place for a great group of chaps who really know their stuff. The help I have received here is invaluable.

You will have to post some pictures of the D and the Stuart pump, most people use Webshots, like to my small page below.

Good Luck

Rich.

Rich Fear

Hi Peter, 99% of engine people are fantastic (a lot more than any other hobby I have had). I am getting somewhere with Shannon. She no longer steals the tools and hides them and is a very good foreman (foredog?) during any project. As for guarding the engines she gets an A+. No-body even dreams of entering the yard with 37kg of German Shepherd barking at the gate. She will soon have something English to guard. The middle of next month (all going well) there will be a fine English engine joining the collection. Hot-bulb, the first letter is B... Rita and yourself, and any other engine people, are welcome to visit us in Oz at any time. Patrick