Scott lives!

Earlier this week a jiffy bag arrived containing a mag platform, the last critical part of the Scott PAB I have been building up, and yesterday I bolted it all together with some expectation of extracting at least a token splutter.

Everything seemed to fit pretty well but the ignition timing appeared to be about 90 degrees away form the position indicated by the marks on the flywheel. Initially I thought this was down to my 'frankenstein' Wico A, assembled largely from a £10 box of bits bought at a sort-out. But, though I could see plenty of scope for getting things 180 degs out, 90 looked impossible. I had just about resigned myself to taking the side casing off to move the timing chain a few teeth (though it didn't look 'got at' in that area) when Helen offered me a welcome cup of tea. Returning to the job, I did what I should have done in the first place and 'reality checked' the timing marks. Sure enough, whatever they are supposed to line up with it ain't the obvious bolt vertically above the flywheel - problem solved!

Anyway, I fed it a float chamber full of petroil, a whiff of gypsy's breath for luck and after a few good pulls on the handle it burst into raucous, unsilenced, life. The governor is not yet connected (a few control rods AWOL), so blipping the throttle provided quite a dramatic effect anybody within earshot must have thought power boat racing had arrived on the Grand Union ;-) It felt like an age before the float chamber ran dry and it waffled to a halt leaving my ears ringing.

My thanks to all, on and off list, who have contributed to this project.

Reply to
Nick H

Excellent! Well done Nick and I'm pleased to have been even slightly instrumental in getting another unusual engine into the realms of the living.

All I need to do now is get mine going!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"Kim Siddorn" wrote (snip):-

And all I need to do is resist the temptation to push it to the back of the shed and forget about it now that it is nominally up and running!

Reply to
Nick H