Scrapyard Prices

Hi Yesterday i visited a scrapyard nearby. I know the guy fairly well though i hadnt seen him for a while. There were a couple of engines i was considering buying and i decided to see whether they were still there. Previously he had given a price for both of them, now when i mentioned them and the price he had given before he said they must be worth more and the price soared almost double!!!! One was a Lister CE and the other a twin cylinder LD on a sawbench. Both had deteriorated a bit since last time. From my experience with scrap men i find that if you mention things in passing or not show a real interest the price is relatively low...for their standards but as soon as you show an interest the price soars. Im sure many of you have had the same experience.

Just on a by topic would any of you be interested in the Lister CE. It is in restorable order but has been standing outside for a while, reviously undercover but the cover has rotted. For more info and if interested then please contact me. We are located in Kent near Tonbridge.

George

Reply to
George

A lot depends on whether it is a metal dealer or a general scrapyard.

The two or three that we frequent are metal dealers and don't handle general scrap like cars etc. We also have a working relationship with them all and can usually barter for bits and pieces as we bring in a lot of material like heavy copper wire etc.

The CE is a nice engine but not very popular as it is heavy in the generator version and not a lot of external moving parts.

The rocker cover is a pretty solid cast iron piece, must have been outside a long time to have rotted through?

Peter

Peter A Forbes