Somewhat OT - 350 shunter?

Passed an EE/BR 350hp shunter on a low loader in Warrington this evening. Named, as far as I could read whilst driving past at close quarters, 'Castleton Works'. Anyon know where, what, why??

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

It's a class 08 shunter allocated to Bescot in Birmingam. As to its destination - anyone's guess - preservation or movement to another depot in the EWS area. It's quite commone to see rolling stock moved by road - it's cheaper than by rail!

In the past year I've seen class 26 locomotives, coaches, large steam locomotives and brand new or refurbished coach wheels all moved by road - looks like the battle to move freight to the railways has been well and truly lost if their internal traffic moves by road.

Reply to
vernon levy

I was told, many moons ago, that it was not unknown for these particular locos to have their traction motors destroyed by being towed too fast along the main line. Can't guarantee the truth of that, though.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

The fact that it was in the middle of Warrington must narrow things down a bit, as there are motorways on 3 sides of the town.

BR made the decision a long time ago that they were only really interested in trainloads of freight, I can see *some* logic in that. Given that situation, I suppose moving individual locos or rolling stock can be an inconvenience they don't want, especially if it's stuff which doesn't have all the right bits of paper to go with it for main line passage.

Cheers Tim (who wonders if he is the only person ever to have shunted freight on BR metals with a 21hp Lister JP2 powered loco?) Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

They used to remove the connection rods and then tow them at much higher speeds, but then as has been pointed out it costs far too much these days to move them by rail!

PS anyone want a EE engine out of one of these beasts? It looks like it's got a genny set coupled to its back end....

Andy G

(touching on another of my many interests......)

Reply to
Andy Greening