Somewhat OT - LC3 bits

A friend of mine is hunting for a Morris LC3 Radiator Cap. They are in Australia where these things are not as common as Dingo droppings, so I wondered if amongst out corporate Rusty Iron, someone might have one lurking about.

I'd be very surprised is condition mattered in the slightest ;o))

Please help if you can.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Can't help on rad cap I'm afraid, but hope your floor recovery went well. How does one make presumably dead smooth office flooring look 'period'? BTW saw a couple of your cohorts making and demonstrating a shield on Time Team last night, particularly impressed with the milk based (casein?) glue!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

"Nick Highfield" wrote

I said Radiator cap didn't I? Stupid me, it's a petrol cap they're after .

As you asked, nick ;o)) ...............The floor recovery went well. I wasn't involved with the dawn raid into Canary Wharf on a Sunday morning after Christmas that brought home the floor, but tongued and grooved 7/8" walnut it is, all six thousand quids worth of it!

There were seven of us and we are all used to working together as a team, o - without task designation - we quickly fell into a pattern of work according to skills. We'd decided that as they were all nail gunned through the tongue, it would wreck the surface if we tried to remove them, so each one was cut off flush with an angle grinder. There were three of us doing that, two sorting, one stacking and one flitting to and fro keeping the grinders supplied and removing the finished planks. A nail every foot, it took us two hours and none of us got skagged on a nail or grooved with a cutting disk.

Lunch time then we bundled the short bits in fives and the long ones in threes, piling them up on three scaffold planks poised on two specially made low, sturdy trestles. As we neared the end, the trestle dug in and keeled over. We pulled it all off again and worked out the weight.

Ah ............

By weighing a plank and extrapolating from that to the known area, we established the weight at some 1,300 kilos - which explained why the trestles had dug in! We piled it all up again and ran off quick before it repeated its decline.

It is enough to cover 20% of the floor area of the Longhall, the high status end, I'd think ;o)) Finish will be sanded and oiled, plenty of provenance for wood working of the highest order - and yes, cheese glue was in common use.

Pics at

on the new Wychurst album, Feb. '04

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

!!!

Ah, but it's totally out of period.

Best find someone who can help you get rid of it for you 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"Andy Dingley" wrote >

There have been several tries like this already, so I am armed with the following facts.

1.) The Romans introduced the Walnut tree into Britain and it was well established in the 1000 years that seperate "us" from them. 2.) References to Walnuts appear frequently in the Domesday Book, written just 86 years after the nominal Dateline for our Longhall.

Nice try, no cigar - NEXT!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Wrong species though. It's thought that the Roman walnut (and almost all the European walnuts) were wiped out by a pest sometime in the early medieval. Our current walnut _Juglans regia_ was a re-introduction from the middle east, along with the horse chestnut (used as an arabic horse medicine) at some time during the crusades.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

was well established in the 1000 years that separate "us" from them.

"Andy Dingley" wrote

I didn't know that about Walnut trees. I shall inquire Elsewhere;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn