two-stroke diversions

Acquired some more Scott/Jowett PAB bits (as advertised in SEM) over the weekend, so I heaved out my collection of parts from various sources including 'Matt The Sawyer' and Kim, to see how I was getting on towards a complete engine.

I have commented before that this engine uses a very un Scott like symmetrically domed piston with some sort of Schnurle derived scavenge system. Looking again at the porting, I noted that as well as the usual paired transfers aimed tangentially away from the exhaust, there was a third, steeply angled port immediately opposite the exhaust. This arrangement is usually attributed to MZ (the inheritors of DKW's legendary expertise in the field) who introduced it in 1957, yet here it was on a British engine designed in the late 1930's! Another example of a British lead thrown away?

Reply to
Nick H

From my experience of two strokes that probably wasn't a bad idea :-)

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

"John Stevenson" wrote

Yes I know; nasty smelly popping things that if they aren't oiling plugs are melting them! But in the late fifties MZ under Walter Kaaden and Ernst Degner shook up the motorcycling world by showing that two-strokes could also be race winners. Funding was a little hard to come by in East Germany, so, at one race meeting Herr Degner carried on riding and didn't stop 'till he reached Japan and Suzuki - a country and company which went on to do quite nicely thank you out of the 'umble two-stroke.

Reply to
Nick H

Kreidler was another company that raced in the 50cc class, I think it was a two-stroke but can't be absolutely sure.

Honda's little DOHC 50cc racers killed them off quite well.

Peter

Prepair Ltd