What are you doing at Christmas?

andrew wrote (snip):

As a worshiper at the alter of old iron, i guess you are right ;-)

NHH

Reply to
NHH

I'd just assumed that there was an old battle cruiser or frigate involved somewhere ......

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Had an afternoon toing and froing into the workshop carrying down stuff that had accumulated on the kitchen table. We do this every Christmas - as much a ritual as putting up the decs & tree. Never lasts, but it does mean that Hazel can fill the house with cookingy smells and the table with shrouded plates of lovely grub ;o))

I discovered three more clean jam jars to screw to the ceiling of the workshop, a box of Allan keys I'd lost track of & the biggest of my three Dremel-like tools!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

M> kimsiddorn wrote: >> I'd not use second hand sleepers. You have no means of knowing if the >> treatment used will not leech toxic gas into an enclosed environment, >> especially when it gets good & hot in the summer!

M> Indeed. You're lucky if you can obtain old wooden railway sleepers. M> They're now classified as hazardous waste, and can't be legally re- M> sold. They have to be disposed of by registered waste carriers.

M> -- M> MatSav

While creosote itself has been banned from general sale as it is now deemed harmful (to wood boring insects etc?), reclaimed creosoted timber sleepers seem to be widely available.

NHH

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

Indeed. You're lucky if you can obtain old wooden railway sleepers. They're now classified as hazardous waste, and can't be legally re-sold. They have to be disposed of by registered waste carriers.

Reply to
MatSav

That's true, freely available without any bother. The trouble is that wooden sleepers are now pretty much extinct and any you come across are likely to be pretty dreadful in condition. Some chaps I know who do ground works and the like now use pre-stressed concrete panels for silage pits. Crossings sleepers (long ones) are no longer available.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

" trying cayenne"

I see you have come into money if you are looking at buying a Porsche :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman