what to do instead

Well Gentlemen,

With the great british weather knocking rally's on the head like there is no tomorrow what do you do instead. I must admit that taking the wife for a ride in our classic car passes as a good alternative but she is also into thinking of other little jobs I could be doing about the house and garden and there is the small matter of the leaking ball c*ck I must do today in the loft. I have a small stock of steel box section that needs cutting and stacking for storage as well. The only annoyance is that I have booked today as a holiday to travel to my cancelled rally but then the rest will do me good I suppose. Your thoughts on your alternatives please.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Speaking to Chris, our local farmer who rents us and the company some storage space, he was saying that he has never had so much time on his hands in the summer.

He has done most of his odd jobs around the farm and is now watching for a break in the weather so he can get the hay cut before the main wheat crop becomes ready.

P*ssing with rain this morning but Sunday / Monday look better.

I have got some engines to get prepared for shipping, but it's an outdoor job unless I can get them into the factory.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

I'm hoping that a bit of wet weather won't effect the TTBR too badly as most of the 'action' is on the water anyway. Mind you the car park, jumble and static displays are on Fawley meadows - AKA Thames flood plain!

Half expected to see you at Uxbridge Auto Sunday last weekend Martin, always has a good P6 contingent.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Family dinner with mother took priority :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Why are you cutting it? Surely longer lengths are more useful. If you cut it, the next time you need a piece of steel, it will always be "just" to short.

I've started cataloguing the stuff in my workshop. I've done my taps and dies. Now I can take a list with me at rallies and won't end up buying sizes I've already got. I'm moving onto other stuff now. If you want a job, I've got a few shaft retainers that need counting. I suggested to SWMBO that she could do that little job. She wasn't impressed. Some woman are so unreasonable.

John

Reply to
John

It is absolutely falling down right now, haven't seen such volumes of water for some time, could be problems for folks near rivers etc.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Prepair Ltd

I'm cutting it cos its in the shape of 2 metre x 1.5 meter frames and takes up lots of space. count out 100 washers, weigh them, then weigh the rest, simple really if you think about it :-))

Just been shopping in the Rover which involved a five mile burst down the A1, cruises quiet nicely at 75 mph, no strange unwanted noises.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Its persisting down here just south of you, fixed ball c*ck with no internal leaks :-)) got leak in garage from corrugated sheet on roof, its going onto floor so can wait until it stops raining. Just needs leaf mold removing which is not allowing water to run away. Whilst loft hatch is open I'm now going to fit digital aerial in place of old unit to keep wife happy with her telly. I've decided we have a weird cat, its thundering outside as well as raining and he is walking about in it not in the slightest bothered, he gets annoyed when Lyn grabs him to dry him in an old towel though :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

Took myself down to Salisbury to meet an eBay vendor & collect an unusual Homelite twin cylinder generator. Chucked it down stair rods all the way down, but on the way back one couldn't see the stair rods for the rain! Lots of deep puddles to create a bow wave & frighten the hedges.

Taking pictures now as it's stopped .............

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn, Regia Anglorum

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and the information in this message and/or attachments may contain protected health, legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not further disseminate, distribute, disclose, copy or forward this message or any of the content herein. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may or may not indicate the established policy of Regia Anglorum. It is the society's principal to rely solely upon hard copy communications in dealing with contractual matters.

This computer is protected with daily updated anti-viral software, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure their incoming mail is virus-free.

Kim Siddorn

Aerial fitted, Digital picture perfect, wife happy, its been a good day :-))

Martin P

campingstoveman

Tomorrow I am going to start making a ER32 collet chuck, I have a full set of collets, a nut, drawings and a lump of metal.

campingstoveman

In message , Prepair Ltd writes

Thankfully we're at 375ft. near the top of a hill here; however, we're hoping that Wood Green (Godmanchester) rally will still be on tomorrow and Sunday. There's usually a good selection of engines there.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

Andrew,

My man at the scene says its been ok today so I might see you there.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

He must have been looking somewhere else then, it's not stopped raining here since 4pm.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I can only report what he was text me, its not my fault he had his eyes closed :-)) I has not rained here since three, you have obviously upset someone :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

In message , campingstoveman writes

We're going there today so may well do; it'll probably be a wellygogs job when we get there, but it's normally a good show, and the beer is of the proper sort too.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

"Nick H" wrote (snip):-

Wrong! Old Father Thames was in playful mood - the current being such that all the landing pontoons which should have been perpendicular to the bank were morred up parallel and the very few vessels which ventured out, barely made headway upstream! Jumble something of a dissapointment - not much in the way of engine stuff apart for some very expensive S-T R3M's and the like. Asking about pre-war Evinrude parts brought blank looks or comments that outboards weren't really 'proper' - though an exception seems to be made for the ubiquitous British Seagull!

The day wasn't completely wasted though. Deciding to take a walk from the rally field into Henley itself, I saw a Marlin Kit car drive by and, as it passed, I realised it was 'my' Marlin which I havn't clapped eyes on since selling it quite a few years ago now. I gave chase and saw it turn into a camping site just opposite the boat rally, a small sign said 'Running Board Rally' where I caught up with car and driver and was very pleased to find that it is now in very enthusiastic ownership in Hampshire. Funny thing coincidence.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

I had an unusual experience on Saturday. Both my re-enactment society (Regia Anglorum) and the Wessex Stationary Engine Club were at Camerton Village Day. I exhibited my Stuart Turner flat twin & also took part in the re-enactment. However, I completely failed to get a shot of me in kit wiv me mates and a stationary engine!

There were nine engines - including a very nice early thin conn rod Amanco air cooled - and a good display of oil cans, the sun shone occasionally & although the ground was a bit squidgy, it held up well and it never rained once. The client was delighted and donated a cheque for £50 to The BABE Appeal in respect of the engine display.

Out at a family gathering in Somerset today & it was pleasantly warm & sunny.

Anyone else attending the crank up this coming Wednesday evening at Sutton Benger just off the M4 at the Chippenham junction?

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Hmmm - I flipped a coin and decided that Camerton was more than likely to be rained off so I stayed home.

Maybe - if all goes well.

Reply to
crn

All loaded up & ready to go, lets hope that the rain stays off for a few hours.

Reply to
crn