Why we tinker with engines?

Nick,

I trained as a machine tool fitter for five years and then did another five years on the job and was offered a position as a foreman on the maintenance dept, I very quickly decided that I didn't like sitting at a desk and as soon as the opportunity arose I left to become a service engineer and wouldn't go backwards again, 22yrs servicing, there is great satisfaction knowing that you have fixed a machine and left the customer happy and I suppose that's why I like my hobbies even down to making my wife a toilet roll holder from stainless and copper tube rather than pay a lot of money for a cheap plastic moulding.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Ah, job satisfaction- I think I remember that! I've been desk bound for

15 years or so now and even when I was at EMI the balance between bench work and report writing or filling in the interminable MOD forms was not altogether favourable. Mind you, I couldn't take the kind of mileage or time away from home you do, the growing fear (and dreams) that I would end my days in a motorway pile-up was one of the reasons I left.

So now I have a ten minute walk to work and I sit in front of a 'pooter churning out routine bearing quotes mostly to Westland and its various subbies. Occasionally an enquiry comes in from someone like IWM Duxford which needs a bit of research and there is a certain satisfaction in perhaps identifying a currently available 'nearinuf' to something which has been out of production since 1945.

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Reply to
campingstoveman

Well, that's not too much more than the 100 mile mile a day round trip once EMI radar moved from Hayes to Crawley - and I minimised my costs by buying a Citroen AX diesel from which I could regularly extract 75mpg, but after three years I had had enough. Chacun a son gout I suppose.

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Scotland and back in four trips :-)) not including filling in in between.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Did they go into the old MEL premises, or somewhere else?

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Yep, reverse takeover - (Thorn) EMI acquired MEL but we were the ones who had to relocate. All part of the Thompson group now I think.

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Comes and goes for me. Virtually nothing in December but January - Canterbury, Burton on Trent, Tamworth, Oxford, Wokingham, in quick succession. York next month & then the season starts all over again. Most MOT's show more than 23k a year - not bad for a retired old soul creaking close to 70!

- And a bike on the road by March Deo Volante!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn