A good buy

Gentlemen, I have been having a tidy in workshop and decided to tidy wiring on angle poise lamp over lathe so took it down and then thought my mate had given me a better one. Found the new lamp and wired it up to a plug and thought I shall test it before fitting, didn't work, further investigation found one of the lamp pins was completely missing from lamp holder so removed lamp holder from old unit to find totally different thread. Shame I had to wreck old unit to get lamp holder out. Both angle poise now in bin and off to buy new one and wishing I had left well alone.

Anyway back from Argos with my new lamp, un-boxed it and assembled it with the instructions and it mentioned a clamp instead of the heavy base. I found the clamp, which comes as a vertical and horizontal mount, and trotted out to the garage where it is now mounted on a cupboard above the lathe and is perfect for the job, it has a 11W energy saver = 75W lamp and is a nice crisp white light. If anybody interested its Cat No 430/8148 £17.99p By the way I am aware of possible "strobe effect" but the noise my lathe makes I would be daft to think it wasn't running :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

(snipped)

Is the "strobe effect" still valid? I understood that the fluorescent powder in modern lamps has a high persistency? JW²

Reply to
JW²