Wipac Series "A" versus Lucas SR magnetos

Martin Percy is a top chap and real magneto anorak. He got quite exited when I took the miniature Bosch mag from my Marconi-Stanley to him for a rebuild and did a lovely job at a very sensible price. His main problem is that, although he doesn't really advertise his services, he is something of a victim of his own success so be prepared to wait.

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Charles Hamilton

Yesterday I discovered that the contact breaker cams also vary depending on the direction of rotation. More disassembly will be required. Grrr...

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

The magneto is finally reassembled and completely functional. I'm hoping it'll last at least ten years before I need to do it again.

The other magnetos I used for spares are also reassembled and labelled.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Well done Chris - now wasn't that worth it as a) you now have a working mag and b) you know your way round the Wico 'A' series for next time ;-)

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

Absolutely. And there's a lot more to learn about these magnetos than you might expect. The one I've just overhauled also works a lot better than other magnetos I've got, even on engines that run. It gives a spark about 1/4" long in the open air. I'm thinking I may overhaul my other Wico magnetos in the future to see if I can improve their performance and make the engines start more easily.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Now, if only someone could tell me if there is a special body for horizontal mounting (I have my doubts about whether the standard lube arrangement will work) then I would be happy too!

NHH

Reply to
NHH

There are

32 main housings 91 end plate units 31 rotor types 21 base adaptor plates

and more, all listed in the Wipac No1 Master Manual.

Given a Wipac number, I can check the build parts from the book.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

PA> There are

PA> 32 main housings PA> 91 end plate units PA> 31 rotor types PA> 21 base adaptor plates

PA> and more, all listed in the Wipac No1 Master Manual.

PA> Given a Wipac number, I can check the build parts from the book.

PA> Peter

You could maybe look at an appropriate Bamford or Fowler application and see if the little spring loaded scraper is in a different orientation.

NHH

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

Perhaps I should explain; I built up a Wico A for a non-standard application in which it would be mounted horizontally and then started to worry that the lube system wouldn't work properly. However I noticed that these mags were used in that orientation in some other applications such as certain Bamfords, Fowlers and ISTR the little Alco featherweight. I reasoned therefore that the lube system must be ok unless these applications used a special body - something I have so far been unable to find out.

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

OK, I'll look into it.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

They did have a choice of the oiler on one, both or none (seems odd, but there were some ringle-turn types for boilers etc.

More to come.