A newbie asks......

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 14:43:35 +0000, Jane Sullivan wrote:

ModeloilsUK is a registered trade name. I can't believe authority would accept the lack of UK as a sufficient excuse. I get the feeling they are either a bit naive or a bit dodgy.
Ken.
Ian wrote:

As well as the other suggestions, google for "memory wire" or "muscle wire"
MBQ
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 04:28:42 +0000, Ian wrote:

I've always liked the slide switch turnout controls. If you have the September 1989 issue of Model Railroader, there's a very ood diagram on page 63. If not, there are lots of examples on the web. Of course, all of those are a little different :-).
I'd stay away from the methods that glue the slide switch in position unless you're very sure of your ability to fix it in the right place the first time. I'm not that capable :-).

First of all - phone Ratio - they have been very nice to deal with in the past and will supply kits direct if you have local supply difficulties.
The ordinary plastic kits that make up into 4 signals can be made to operate *very* successfully by the addition of the remote operating unit. This has a spring for returning the signal arm. The supplied fine cord works very well within a single board.
For more remote operation the best thing to use is Fulgurex or Lemaco motor units.
We have used these signals successfully on a club exhibition layout for 8 or 9 years.
If you wish more information, contact me off group.
--
Bill Campbell

An earlier poster mentioned remote control suppliers. The best wire-in-tube is to be found in shops which sell remote controlled model aircraft. It's all white plastic, a tube within a tube. The inner tube has a hole just the right size for a Gem omega wire with superglue. Run it on top of the baseboard in slots cut in the cork underlay. Omega wire at each end, one sticking up through the hole in the tiebar, the other fixed to a Gem lever frame. Cheap and utterly reliable.