A tele of two decoders

Phil: And to reinterate - based on information in the ZTC controller manual - sending 128-step info to each loco in the roster takes more time than sending the 14/27/28 sterp info, because, with 128 the ACTUAL speed data is sent, not a 'look up' code (14/28) to a predefined speed table (which may have been defined by various means including start mid and end points or all values etc - therefore if all locos, on a large roster are set to 128 speed from the controller, communications will appear more sluggish than on 28 step - even though actual speed control may not be perceptably better. But as has also been observed, a loco can be set to 14 bit - affecting its lighting implementation, but if sent 28 bit mode info the lights alternate on and off through the speed steps because the lsb is used for the lighting in 14 bit mode, and some controllers only issue 14 bit (MTS), and others only 28bit (622). Also reusing a decoder from elsewhere, without reseting it to 'factory' values, may be affected by earlier inappropriate settings. - then you need to know whatthe factory settings are. This is where PC-config devices like SProg with DecoderPRo etc come into their own.

Reply to
Phil

This is true but, to re-iterate further, it makes *no* practical difference.

Using 128 step mode requires one extra byte in each packet plus one extra start bit between bytes. The worst case is a speed value of all

0s (emergency stop) plus the 0 start bit. So, nine 0s takes 2.088ms to transmit at nominal bit timing. I don't know the details of the ZTC system but let's assume that it has a stack of 32 locos (I'm happy to be corrected). The extra data to refresh *every* locos speed is, thus, 66ms. This is the absolute worst case if you change the throttle just after your loco has been refreshed and every loco is receiving an emergency stop packet. On average (even with a larger roster) the difference will be much, much less. I defy anyone to notice any difference in system responsiveness.

Do ZTC support 128 bit mode? If not then their statement is clearly a case of marketing spin to cover their lack of support.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I stand corrected, just had a quick look at the CVs and jumped to a conclusion.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Do you want to sell the DH140 then? Reply to @. removing the > and < characters first.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

"Chris" wrote

Hi Chris,

Sold it on eBay Chris virtually as soon as I removed it. Made GBP13.50 from memory.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That's not bad as Mac Models are selling there end of line DH142's for £20. What a wonderful thing ebay is disposing of surplus items.

Chris

Reply to
Chris