Advert - Tebay layout for sale

Shipley Model Railway Society multi-award winning layout Tebay is for
sale. Details at

snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk
Reply to
Mike Parkes
'Twas Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:54:13 +0000, when Mike Parkes decided to declare:
OOOOHHH!!! Do you take right arms? Grandmas? Kidneys? :o)
Del.
Reply to
Del The Obscure
"Del The Obscure" wrote
They'll only take your arm if you throw in a leg! ;-)
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Reminds me... Anyone fancy adopting one of their now ancient layouts - "Evercreech Junction" from the Somerset & Dorset?
My father (who bought this layout from them) and I are looking for someone to take this on on a long-term to permanent loan basis to get it up and running again.
(A friend decided it needed re-wiring some years back, got as far as removing all the old wiring and then promptly disappeared from the face of the planet!)
Ronnie --
Due to recent viruspams, any email containing the word "Microsoft" will not be received.
Reply to
Ronnie Clark
"Ronnie Clark" wrote
That was a lovely layout, much nicer than Tebay, but that might just be my love of the old S&D influencing my thoughts.
Wish I'd enough space, but it might pay you to publish the dimensions.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
I like Tebay, but I always think that the fiddle yard looks far more interesting than the layout. All that track and the holding yards remind me of places like Severn Tunnel Junction, Bescott and Didcot.
Would look great with a bit of scenery!
Pete
Reply to
mutley
10 grand!!...Hmm be interesting to see how they've arrived at that figure!
Reply to
IanClarke
"IanClarke" wrote in message
WOW !!! 10 Grand for that price I would want all the stock to go with it !! :o))
All the best Steve.
Reply to
The Parkys
"IanClarke" wrote
Easy, they thought of a figure and doubled it! ;-)
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Evercreech Junction went for 8 grand, and that was 16 years ago. I know, because my dad was the muppet who bought it! :)
Ronnie --
Due to recent viruspams, any email containing the word "Microsoft" will not be received.
Reply to
Ronnie Clark
Hi all,
Layout pricing is always going to be a contentious issue. For those of you who have your own layout and don't exhibit it I suggest you sit down and quickly add up what you've spent - might be wise not to let the other half see the result! Now add in a guesstimate of your labour charge, including the time taken to design that thing in the first place, pay yourself at the minimum rate. Now you have something resembling the like for like replacement cost. I'd almost guarantee it was much more than you thought. Depreciation is of course much harder to allow for, even the great Heckmonwyke was eventually broken up at the NRM when ten years previously it was probably worth a considerable sum. Those of you who exhibit will have already done these sums for insurance purposes and I'll give a couple of examples of layouts I'm involved with. A P4 layout, mainly handbuilt track etc, 30' long with stock, approx. £15K, N scale US 8' 6"x 2' 6", £4.5K. Of course what you can actually obtain for a layout when being sold is like most other things, it's what the market will bear. As a final thought, when you've done the sums - check your house insurance!
Tony Comber, not an insurance salesman :-)
Reply to
TonyComber
Yes, and at that sort of pricing, considering this is surely from a / hobby club / and not a commercial business materials and value of stock / fixtures & fittings is one thing, time taken to build is another, the former is chargeable the latter is not surely ?
They hardly need any lottery funding if they are getting the figures quoted in this thread for their old layouts...
Reply to
Jerry.
Don't know about that, Steve, I reckon I'd want a 12 inches to the foot version! Regards, Paul.
Reply to
Paul Francis
"Paul Francis" wrote in message
Hi Paul Wasn't it your club that bought an "N" gauge layout from the Farnborough club (R.I.CO.) a few years back??
All the best Steve.
Reply to
The Parkys
"Ronnie Clark"
wrote:
Evercreech was sold for around 1/10th of that figure. snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk
Reply to
Shipley Model Railway Society
I would be very interested in having that in writing (hard copy, as it were), as my dad spent considerable time bragging about how much he paid for the layout.
This could settle a long-running dispute. Please contact me at my other email address, r.j.clark-99 AT student.lboro.ac.uk