Bachmann 2009

"Jerry" wrote

Bit difficult as I sell boxes, and rely on 'box openers' for my living Jerry.

Just do a quick comparison and see how many DCC-ready locos are available for each of the Big 4 companies. I think you'll find the LNER lag way behind the rest.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

You are a toy shop, I thought you were a *MODEL* railway shop?...

: : Just do a quick comparison and see how many DCC-ready locos are available : for each of the Big 4 companies. I think you'll find the LNER lag way : behind the rest. :

So f***ing what, you don't have to use DCC, the fact is, the LNER is now well supported, how the chassis works is irrelevant to that FACT - or perhaps those who *model* in EM or P4 should also start ranting on that Bachmann don't support them at all with any RTR stock...

As a comparison with the number of LNER/BR(E) locos on offer, Bachmann appear to have but one Southern (railway/region) steam out-line classes - three if you inclued the EMU's - in their 2009 range (never mind it being split chassis, DCC ready or RTR P4), what are the toy/model shops south of the Themes meant to sell, other than suggest that they model an area 'north of the Themes and east of the Pennies' when someone comes asking for a Southern railway/region loco from Bachmann?

Reply to
Jerry

J39 is fine, so are the K3 and V2s. V1/V3 is reasonable, the main problem with them is that sometimes you get one where the pony trucks don't stay on the track properly.

The chasis on the J72, on the other hand, is s**te and will explode as soon as you look at it funny.

Don't think they were round Teeside much AFAIK, NER had plenty of

0-8-0s and the Q7 was thought by many to be a bit over-powered for duties other than the runs up to Consett.

How long's that Peppercorn A2 been in the range? Too late for Thorpe Thewles or Project X, but could look nice on Castledale.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

I have an old 03 at home that definitely says Mainline on the box and on the model.

Mainline = Palitoy doesn't it?

ROB

Reply to
Robert Flint

Refer the customer to the Hornby range. Bachmann obviously don't think that it makes economic sense for them to make SR steam models at this time, luckily for the customer Hornby do.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

I think you make my point...

Reply to
Jerry

: >> "simon" wrote : >>

: >>> Never mind that, wheres the upgraded Scot and other split chassis timed : >>> out models. Over to Hornby then, Bachmann taking too long with their : >>> ex-Palitoy products. : >>

: >> Excuse me Simon but isn't the 03 shunter an ex-Palitoy model, and : >> wasn't the 'Jubilee' the same, not to mention the BR Standard 4MT 4-6-0? : >> I don't think that's bad going over the last couple of years. : >>

: >> However, I think any manufacturer's money is better spent on completely : >> new models, and for once Bachmann are to be applauded for tackling : >> something new which ran north of the Thames and east of the Pennines. : >> I'm sure the GCR/LNER 04 2-8-0 will prove to be very successful. : >>

: >> John. : > Still : > 03 - ex-Palitoy - not according to my aging copy of Ramsay. : : I have an old 03 at home that definitely says Mainline on the box and on the : model. : : Mainline = Palitoy doesn't it? :

Yes, "Mainline" was the brand used by Palitoy for their UK model railway range, Mainline was never (in the context of RTR model railways) a company in it's self.

Reply to
Jerry

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 04:42:15 -0800, "John Turner" said in :

Quite. The split-chassis models are simply archaic. They can be made to work, but working is only a small part of the equation.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"simon" wrote

Definitely released in Palitoy's Mailine range. I have one here.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Jerry" wrote

Any shop wishing to survive reflects the demands of their customers. I don't really care whether you class it as a model shop or a toy shop. It's only an issue for you.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

As do manufactures, and obviously Bachmann considers that their

2009/10 budget is better spent on new models (with high earnings potential) than spending the money on re tooling older models and/or their chassis's that might not even recover the cost of the retooling.
Reply to
Jerry

Then Comet (etc.) is your friend, perhaps you would prefer if Bachmann just withdraw the model(s) from the range - they would probably loose less money by not selling the product that retooling it...

Reply to
Jerry

Oh you mean the dirty diesel. That one backfired on me as it seemed to allow you to side step the rest of my post - which was much more interesting :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Whose factory/offices were sited just 3 miles up the road from me in Coalville !

Hope they didnt choose Ashby as a potential site for the Hitachi trains factory cos the area has a histrory of train building - they only designed them at Palitoy.

Cheers, Simon

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

Not intentionally mate, there's lots of things I'd have done differently if I'd had the decision making hat on for either or both of Bachmann &/or Hornby.

Certainly a 3F or 4F tender loco would have scored for me before a re-tooled Jinty, and I wouldn't have touched unrebuilt Scots with a bargepole - anyone on here remember the prototypes?

Hornby should maybe have redone their Patriot some time ago, but obviously not a priority, but I've no real arguement with Bachmann for tackling that - and an excellent job they've made of it too, when compared with the Hornby (over-wide) tender drive abortion.

The ROD 2-8-0s (LNER 04s) were actually taken into stock by the LNWR, but whether any made it into LMS ownership I doubt, but I'm not 100% sure on that. So maybe they did get used extensively on LMS routes, but only in the pre-grouping era.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote

Ooops, sorry, forgot the A1.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Unrebuilt Scots ? apart from couple of problems thought they were excellent locos for theyre time ?

True the Patriot is a fine model, but still think they had a moral responsibility to stop producing the older Scot and upgrade it. Hence it should have been out before the Patriot - now reaching point of taking the pi??.. No jerry, am not afraid of DCC'ing a split chassis*, more concerned with anyone buying a Scot now only to have the new better upgraded model appear in the shops soon after.

  • think someone remarked on here something to the effect of rather have something like this available as RTR and then spend time doing other modelling tasks.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

: : True the Patriot is a fine model, but still think they had a moral : responsibility to stop producing the older Scot and upgrade it. Hence it : should have been out before the Patriot - now reaching point of taking the : pi??..

WTF has morals got to do with business these days, if Bachmann and Hornby had any morals they would produce the models in the UK and not China! Don't goad Bachmann or Hornby to much or you might just find that they do indeed withdraw the existing model(s), not re-tool them, as I pointed out before - it might actually be cheaper to accept the lost trade than to re-tool.

: No jerry, am not afraid of DCC'ing a split chassis*, more concerned with : anyone buying a Scot now only to have the new better upgraded model appear : in the shops soon after. :

If you want a Scot you will either buy what ever the RTR version is or - horror of horrors - buy a kit, no one is forcing you to buy what you consider an indifferent RTR loco...

There you go, all your problems sorted (LK1), except that you will have to do some *modelling* for a change rather than just opening the f***ing box!

Oh, and could this be one of the reasons why Bachmann have not spent money re-tooling a chassis that can be so easily replaced by the serious *modeller* (mind any line wrap), your looking for LCP1;

Jerry

The moral that says dont alienate your customers else you may lose them. Bachmann/everyone moaned like hell when Hornby 'stole' the rebuilt Scot and rebuilt Patriot then instead of upgrading their Parallel Boiler Scot they 'steal' the original boiler Patriot. Bachmann said they were running a program to upgrade all split chassis locos.

However the older split chassis model is still in the catalogue. If I bought the old Scot and then an upgraded one came out I would be upset.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

But as I'm sure someone said recently I'd much rather use my time as a serious modeller to build a kit that is unlikely to appear asa RTR. Bachmann have said they will upgrade the Scot so I'm waiting. Also look how expensive it is to upgrade.... Chassis £27.50 Driving Wheels/axles £30 Bogie/tender Wheels £25 Motor/gearbox £25

Say £100 on top of cost of loco and its still got an old body.

Would rather use that money on a kit thats less likely to be realeased in RTR. As for real modelling - have reached painting stage on one kit and starting on conversion a tender drive 4F to loco drive with a Comet chassis. Will that do for a beginner ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon