Bachmann 9F

That is one heavy model! We will run it up later and see just how mighty it is.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 19:21:56 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" said in :

Gleeful stuff - 50 trucks up 1 in 40 so far. Aren't tension-lock couplers the pits? Where can I get chain couplers for my trucks, I wonder?

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Is that smoke from the funnel or from the motor ? :-) You sound pleased young man

Chris

Reply to
chris.brett58

Try Scalelink Ltd.3 link couplings are fine so long as you are hauling. If you need to propel the wagons,i,e, shunting, then you could have trouble with buffer locking on sharper curves. One way round this is to either 1. Glue a strand of fine wire between to buffers, or 2. Glue on some larger buffer heads.

Reply to
Keith Patrick
[ re screw and 3 link couplings ]

: Try Scalelink Ltd.3 link couplings are fine so long as you are hauling. If : you need to propel the wagons,i,e, shunting, then you could have trouble : with buffer locking on sharper curves. One way round this is to either 1. : Glue a strand of fine wire between to buffers, or 2. Glue on some larger : buffer heads.

Or fit sprung buffers, just like the prototype!

Reply to
Jerry

You might find the thread on adding magnet remote operation to tension locks useful.

Otherwise, yes you can fit proper scale chains. Some are easier to couple than others, and there are some who prefer a steel end-loop (non-ferrous for intermediates), so a magnetic hook can be used to aid the chain onto the adjacent wagon. I find Exactoscale ones work well, but they are expensive, many other makers are cheaper. As others have said, buffer locking when propelling round tight curves or tight turnouts might be an issue.

Having mentioned Exactoscale, its worth reading their documentation, particularly on how to open/close links in chains.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

In message , "Just zis Guy, you know?" writes

Yes. That's why I use Kadees. See

Jane Sullivan

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 12:10:44 +0000, Jane Sullivan said in :

Which Kadee do you use? There seem to be dozens!

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

In message , "Just zis Guy, you know?" writes

Depends. No 19 or 20 on Bachmann Mark 1 coaches; No 17 at one end and No

18 at the other end of Bachmann wagons. No 5 on other stuff.
Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Keith Patrick" wrote

I used scale couplings for many years in 4mm scale without any problem with buffer-locking. The key is to have scale sized buffer-heads and avoid curves of less than 2'0" radius. Cross-overs can be an issue, but providing their radius is sensible, it can be avoided.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Jerry" wrote

Unless you scale the spring resistance and also the mass of the wagons, sprung buffers tend to be ineffective, although they can look nice if they're correctly proportioned.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Well of course, but then that is half the 'art' of scale modelling...

Reply to
Jerry

In message , John Turner writes

The main problem with crossovers is the S-bend in the middle. What you really want is a straight section, as long as possible. So the best thing may be to build your own, or in OO use a pair of Peco code 83 No.

6 turnouts.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan