Bachmann 9F

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 19:21:56 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" said in :
Gleeful stuff - 50 trucks up 1 in 40 so far. Aren't tension-lock couplers the pits? Where can I get chain couplers for my trucks, I wonder?
Guy
Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?
Try Scalelink Ltd.3 link couplings are fine so long as you are hauling. If you need to propel the wagons,i,e, shunting, then you could have trouble with buffer locking on sharper curves. One way round this is to either 1. Glue a strand of fine wire between to buffers, or 2. Glue on some larger buffer heads.
Reply to
Keith Patrick
[ re screw and 3 link couplings ]
: Try Scalelink Ltd.3 link couplings are fine so long as you are hauling. If : you need to propel the wagons,i,e, shunting, then you could have trouble : with buffer locking on sharper curves. One way round this is to either 1. : Glue a strand of fine wire between to buffers, or 2. Glue on some larger : buffer heads.
Or fit sprung buffers, just like the prototype!
Reply to
Jerry
You might find the thread on adding magnet remote operation to tension locks useful.
Otherwise, yes you can fit proper scale chains. Some are easier to couple than others, and there are some who prefer a steel end-loop (non-ferrous for intermediates), so a magnetic hook can be used to aid the chain onto the adjacent wagon. I find Exactoscale ones work well, but they are expensive, many other makers are cheaper. As others have said, buffer locking when propelling round tight curves or tight turnouts might be an issue.
Having mentioned Exactoscale, its worth reading their documentation, particularly on how to open/close links in chains.
- Nigel
Reply to
Nigel Cliffe
In message , "Just zis Guy, you know?" writes
Yes. That's why I use Kadees. See
Jane Sullivan
In message , "Just zis Guy, you know?" writes
Depends. No 19 or 20 on Bachmann Mark 1 coaches; No 17 at one end and No 18 at the other end of Bachmann wagons. No 5 on other stuff.
Reply to
Jane Sullivan
"Keith Patrick" wrote
I used scale couplings for many years in 4mm scale without any problem with buffer-locking. The key is to have scale sized buffer-heads and avoid curves of less than 2'0" radius. Cross-overs can be an issue, but providing their radius is sensible, it can be avoided.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
"Jerry" wrote
Unless you scale the spring resistance and also the mass of the wagons, sprung buffers tend to be ineffective, although they can look nice if they're correctly proportioned.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
: > Or fit sprung buffers, just like the prototype! : : Unless you scale the spring resistance and also the mass of the wagons, : sprung buffers tend to be ineffective, although they can look nice if : they're correctly proportioned. :
Well of course, but then that is half the 'art' of scale modelling...
Reply to
Jerry
In message , John Turner writes
The main problem with crossovers is the S-bend in the middle. What you really want is a straight section, as long as possible. So the best thing may be to build your own, or in OO use a pair of Peco code 83 No. 6 turnouts.
Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Site Timeline