Bachmann Driving Axles

A correspondent recently mentioned the failure of axles in Bachmann products. Is this a valid complaint? This phenomena is present in Mainline but I have never encountered it personally with Bachmann. Equally, I have found the direct support from Bachmann and Hornby to be good bearing in mind the thin line between preventing rebuilds in favour of repair as a commercial policy. Unlike the kit or scratch build market suppliers who are rather "Kiss my ass" to put it mildly.( We take your order and forget all about you). Regards

Peter A Montarlot

Reply to
Peter Abraham

Peter Abraham said the following on 19/11/2007 08:07:

I don't know who you've been dealing with, but I've found that virtually all the kits and bits suppliers I've dealt with bend over backwards to help.

I say "virtually all" because Blackham Transfers fall into your category.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Yes, I am being unkind!

The last 4 orders have been accepted and subsequently delivered with as much as 50% unavailable!

Naturally, having just vented my spleen this forenoon my email pops up with a reply to several emails which had been ignored -- ie they had gone to live in the recipients Spam Can. There I discovered that my order has spent two months wandering around France because of poor written addressing.

When your only method of shopping is by post these little things can get to you! My latest eBay non deliverers have either gone into Hospital or taken Holidays immediately on the sale date.

Mumble, mumble grunt etc.

Regards

Reply to
Peter Abraham

"Peter Abraham" wrote

It does happen, but only with some of the earlier 'split chassis' models, and certainly not as prevalent as with those models produced for Mainline. The latter however are much older and it may be that the Bachmann models which use the same axle design may fail given time for the plastic axles to age and split.

I should add that none of the more recent 'Blue Ribband' locomotives utilise this type of driven axle.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Peter Abraham said the following on 19/11/2007 10:09:

I'm still getting stuff delivered that was posted two or three weeks ago

- I think some sorting offices are still being a bit militant, or they're working off the top of the pile all the time instead of by date.

I did have one delivery that took three days though, and the address consisted of the company name and the unit number, and that was it! Full marks to the PO for getting that one to me!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I mentioned the splitting of axles with Bachmann locos. Yes, they are all of the split chassis design. I have had the odd older Mainline loco exhibit splitting of the driving axles, usually I've just superglued the axle and so far that's worked. I recently had a V2 derail in unusual circumstances, checked it, and found the rear truck axle was both warped and split. This set me checking other locos - Classes V1, V2, A4, Ivatt 2 tank were all affected in varying degrees. The Lord Nelson has a similar design of bogie - they are the ones where pickups were arranged on the bogie/pony truck axles. I've also got a couple of Bachmann Modified Halls with splitting driving axles. I have to suspect, on my experience, that the problem is going to be widespread - I doubt I have been singularly unlucky.

Colin

Reply to
antrobus

I have used that same method with success on Mailine ( I buy them for the bodies/tenders) but I am now fore-warned regarding Bachmann. My issue with older Bachmann lies in the trucks, espcially the single axle type. My remedy is to fit a cropped biro coil spring and washer instead of the leaf type but it is essential to leave the screw slack enough for vertical movement.

Regards

Peter A

Reply to
Peter Abraham

I should, perhaps, add that I have recently contacted Bachmann who have supplied me with some plastic driving axle spacers, which will hopefully enable me to repair at least some of the locos in the event of total failure of the axles. I am awaiting a response regarding the bogie/pony axle spacers.

Colin

Reply to
antrobus

I haven't got a Bachmann J72, only a very early Mainline version, so I don't know the exact type of split axle spacer that is fitted. I recently obtained from Bachmann, some sets of plastic driving axle spacers for their later models. It might be worth a try to see if they have the correct type available for the J72. The ones I bought were =A31.50 per set of 3 including the geared axle.

Colin

Reply to
antrobus