wheels / axles

Hi all,

I'm building a OO mailcoach / kirk coach kit and need some wheels to fit to the bogies. I've tried various Bachmann /hornby wheels but the problem is that the axle length all the wheelsets are all slightly too short!

Does anyone know of any with slightly longer axles?

(I make the hornby / bachmann ones to be 1 inch) I need only about another 1 mm.

Any Ideas?

cheers.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

"Craig Douglas" wrote

Jackson/Romford.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Why not simply drill some 2mm. dia. holes in 0.5mm. thick Plasticard; cut a square round each hole; and sandwich one of the resulting spacing washers between each top-hat bearing and the bogie sideframe?

... or, if you want something more sophisticated, I believe that Alan Gibson offers turned brass 2mm. bore spacing washers.

John Isherwood.

Reply to
cctransuk

Hi John,

I'm not familiar with their range.

The bachmann turned brass wheels performed better than the others tested thus far due to their weight. the bogie didn't nescesarily sit flat on the axles as they were a little too short. (by 1-2 mm)

The coaches are articulated, so any sharp change of speed tends to lead to derailment with lighter wheels. (Gresley Silver Jubillee set)

Do you stock anything that fits the bill?

Thanks.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

"Craig Douglas" wrote

14mm Jackson coach wheels?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Hi John,

Yes, 14mm would be fine. (I spent some time trying to find out what the prototype used, but couldn't find out anything so my I checked the size of the one hornby used on the new Gresleys.)

How long are the axles?

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas