Hornby Wheels

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anybody can help me with the following :-

I have just got back into model rail after an absence of about 10 years and have resurrected my old Triang - Hornby stuff purchased in the 70's.

I would like to add lighting to some of my coaches and was thinking of mimic-ing the method of adding an electrical pickup strip to rub against the axle of the coach wheels. As most of the wheels are plastic I realise that I will need to change these to metal ones.

My question is, are the currently available metal wheels from Hornby (in packs of 10. Why 10? Most rolling stock wheels are in groups of 4) fully insulated from the axle or are they half insulated so that a pick up could be gained from one of them.

If Hornby aren't suitable, any suggestions on what I can use.

Many thanks

Jack

Reply to
Jack

In message , Jack writes

Hi Jack

Have you considered making the pickup strip bear against the back of the metal wheel?

It does not then matter whether or not the wheel is insulated.

The Hornby wheels may come in packs of ten but they are so much cheaper than other makes that a couple of spare axles is not a big consideration.

Regards

Reply to
Bill Campbell
Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Hornby wheels are both insulated from the axle. To make an electrical contact, you could use conducting paint as sold for printed circuits.

Reply to
MartinS

When one considers the difference between the distance around an axle and the distance around a wheel rim one can see that the increase in friction is considerable.

Lima wheelsets are 25mm across the axles whereas most UK wheelsaets are

26mm.

Of course Lima wheels are 11mm diameter which is wrong for everything, including European HO. The difference in wheel spacing is so small that only moving the one wheel in or out produces almost no visual effect, even though it makes a big difference in running qualities. The only use I have found for Lima wheels is to spray them rust colour and use them as junk behind the wagon repair depot or as wagon loads.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Bill Campbell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bacam.demon.co.uk: Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

I did consider the back of the wheel but it looks more difficult to achieve than glueing or screwing a strip of phosphor bronze to the base of the bogie and bending it to the axle.

I wasn't complaing about the price of the wheels it was just that 8 or 12 in the set would have been more logical.

Regards

Jack

Reply to
Jack

Well if you want to re-wheel a set of 5 coal wagons with spoked wheels the pack is good, maybe it is just a case of it suits some better than others. Simon G

Reply to
news.virginmedia.com

If you buy Two packs. Unless coal wagons are two wheeled ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"Lobby Dosser" wrote

Hornby wheels come with 10 axles per pack (i.e. 20 wheels) so they are quite good value and would be sufficient for 5 coal wagons as Simon suggested.

Riddles

Reply to
Riddles

For creating pickup that do not drag the coach too much I use the old style Bachmann wheels that have solid metal wheels seperated by a plastic shaft. Each of the wheels has a 2mm stub axle behind the wheel which is perfect for running a pickup from. I have fitted coach lighting on my entire stock and a 6 coach rake can be drawn up a 1:20 slope with ease (mind you the loco is heavily ballasted!). Using these wheels it is possible to have pickups from both axles on the same bogie.

Sadly I do not think you can get these types of wheels any more, which is why I have lots of spares both spoked and 'disc brake.'.

Reply to
a.p.k.torry

In message , a. p. k. torry writes

Hi again

Replica Railways and MB Models both have had these on their exhibition stands in the past so may be worth enquiring.

Regards

Reply to
Bill Campbell

But only two and a half bogie wagons or coaches, or one and two thirds six axle dining or Pullman cars. Twelve axles per pack would be more useful.

Reply to
MartinS

Does all Hornby rolling stock have the same diameter wheels?

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

My mistake. I thought the OP said 10 Wheels.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Most have 12.6mm diam wheels. Hornby also sells 14.1mm wheels. I needed the larger ones for my Hornby ex-Dapol LMS 12-wheel dining car.

See discussion here:

or

MartinS