Bachmann Hall DCC on Board

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote

Indeed that's true but the Bachmann 25 is an extremely good mechanism, in this instance spoilt by either a poor or badly configured decoder.

I'd certainly go down the route of snipping the capacitors, and if that doesn't solve the slow speed running, then I'd hard-wire a decent decoder in place of the factory fitted abortion.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

[ re British HO ]

It's not at all strange if you take into consideration the pedigree of the BR(w) DH and especially the D800 series, and the fact that from the mid '60s they ran out of Waterloo with ex SR Bullied stock.

Reply to
Jerry

"Jerry" wrote

Maybe, but think some BR Mk1 coaches (with all the livery options available) would have been a better choice.

Strange choice or not, they didn't sell ................... period!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I wonder how many got sold in Germany though, to collectors and general (rather than model) railway enthusiasts?

Reply to
Jerry

All of these were doomed to failure because OO was so dominant.

It's a chicken and egg situation. There needs to be a big enough range available before people will buy into it.

As you say, the Lima was horrible.

It's been a long time since I saw them, but the Rivarossi(?) Royal Scot looked good to my untutored non-LMS eye, as did the Warship and Bulleids.

I don't know why they did that combination. Warships didn't run very long out of Waterloo. Mark ones in a couple of liveries would have made more sense.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

"Jerry" wrote

Clearly not enough if they were still for sale twenty-five years and more after initial release in 1977. As far as I can tell there was only one production run.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Are you sure on that date John, I'm sure that I can remember seeing the BR(w) Warship and coaches in a Fleischmann in the early '70s - I also remember both Jouef and Raivarossi, along with the for-mentioned Lima, releasing British outline RTR HO models in the late '70s.

Reply to
Jerry

Then why wouldn't my Hornby 2nd radius curved points accommodate my Hornby rolling stock without shimming check rails and adjusting wheel b-to-b?

Reply to
MartinS

"Jerry" wrote

I thought they were 1977 and that seems to be reinforced by Ramsey's Guide.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Probably because the points are new (current) and the rolling stock ids old - or vice versa.

Hornby don't/didn't have standards. One of the British MR mags I used to buy occasionally gave the wheel dimensions of all the rolling stock and locomotives it reviewed. I noticed that these dimensions varied not only between manufacturers, as might be expected, but also within a manufacturer's range. Weird.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

It was newer wheels on old-design (but still sold) points.

I also had to do some surgery on my skirted A4 before it would take those points without the front pony wheels contacting the casing and derailing. This included shimming the check rails to slew the body over sooner.

Reply to
MartinS

The lesson is not to mix toy train-set track radii with fine-scale models...

Reply to
Jerry

I couldn't agree more. My first electric "train set" was Jouef.

Andrew

Reply to
google

Cheers, Simon