Ballasting

Dont worry I havent used anything abrasive, I just mentioned it as 'what I read/hear' I would prefer 'rag' wipe solution something like that.. been using a track rubber to get some of it off :)

Reply to
Chris King

I *hope* the intended advice ws to clean it off afterwards :-)

Having said that, Railzip, anyone? That's just some kind of oil, isn't it?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I *hope* the intended advice ws to clean it off afterwards :-)

Having said that, Railzip, anyone? That's just some kind of oil, isn't it?

MBQ

==================

Hopefully it would only take several months or years to get rid of it - washing up liquid perhaps except that leaves its own film - reminds of swallowing spider to catch a fly .. But why put it on in the first place. Quick wipe with kitchen roll removes most paint, rest with normal cleaning (track rubber).

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Maybe it didn't make it to your side of the pond, but quite a few years ago there was a big brouhaha about Wahl Clipper Oil on the rails. Some swore by it, some swore at it.

But more recently, there was an article in MR (IIRC) that suggested MAAS polishing cream to prevent rail corrosion. I haven't tried it yet, but intend to. It might prevent paint from sticking.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

A friend just came back from the US and brought back No-Ox.

Stops corrosion and oxidation of Nickel Silver model railway rails.

Ezra Kowadlo

Sounds like this is ideal for my garden railway.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Hi Ezra, fancy meet "NO-OX-ID A-Special is a soft, wax based rust preventative and lubricant that contains an active rust inhibitor and small amount of solvent for ease of application. This corrosion resistant coating can be applied by spray or brush application. NO-OX-ID controls corrosion by leaving a thick, semi-transparent, non-drying barrier coating that retains its anti rust properties indefinitely.

A-Special Electrical Grade

NO-OX-ID "A-SPECIAL" is the electrical contact grease of choice in new electrical installations and maintenance because of its excellent performance in keeping metals free from corrosion."

Is the special what your friend bought? Has he tried it yet?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Larry,

I will ask him.

See ya round.

Ezra

Reply to
Ezra Kowadlo

Here is my friends response. He has tried some and found it works well.

"It is the last one ? NO-OX ID A Special. You clean track and wheels thoroughly first, place a small amount on a section of track and run your locos all over the layout. Then let it dry for 24 hours, then wipe the rails thoroughly to remove any excess".

Reply to
Ezra Kowadlo

OK, so that gives us two known corrosion preventers. The NO-OX and the MAAS. I'll try MAAS shortly and report back.

Funny, since NO-OX is a grease, and even wiping leaves a thin film, it would seem that the proponents of Wahl Clipper Oil might have been correct :-).

I'm going to post the info in rec.models.railroad and in one or two of the Yahoo forums. Always nice to find new ways to solve old problems.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Another recommended product is LPS-1, a lightweight greaseless spray lubricant that resists oil and dust build-up, cleans and displaces moisture, and is a fast-acting penetrant. It's made in the USA; I found it in Canada at TSC Hardware. It's available in the UK from

See also:

- a discussion that mentions both NO-OX and LPS-1.

Reply to
MartinS

Peco market Electrolube (now Powerlube) which I th Contact lubricants are specially formulated greases and oils that reduce friction and enhance the electrical performance of current carrying metal interfaces in switches and connectors. Electrolube products are electrically insulative in thick films, preventing tracking. In ultra thin films, i.e. between closed metal contacts, they allow the current flow, owing to the ?Quantum Tunnelling Effect?. They also exhibit a neutral pH thereby avoiding surface corrosion.

The effectiveness of even perfectly designed switches can be improved by contact lubricants and, when considered at design stage, significant production cost savings can be achieved by the use of less expensive plastics and contact metals.

Tests have shown that contact lubrication can extend the lifetime of switches by more than 300%, producing excellent performance under all circumstances and preventing the need for expensive maintenance.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

I use Peco Electrolube on gears and bearings, but I don't know if it would help on the rails or wheel treads.

Reply to
MartinS

I don't think so. Clipper oil is just a white mineral oil. Wahl is just a popular brand. Every electric razor I have bough comes with a small bottle of oil. I currently use Braun oil to lubricate locos, but not as a contact cleaner/enhancer nor as a track cleaner.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq