Big Hornby Surprise

For some I'm sure. I'm surprised nobody has yet posted this:

Might have to unmangle the URLs but effectively it says that Hornby has announced a new Mk3 DVT in it's range.

Good for modern image modellers and the suggestion on some forums is that it might be the precursor for something electric next year... or perhaps just to sell a few more Mk3 coaches when Heljan's 86 comes out sometime this decade or the next, as well as PECO's catenary. Might even be tempted to build up an Intercity liveried rake myself...

Reply to
Melbournian

Did go to DEMU last Sunday where it was on show, but only purchase was LNWR coach kit - thats clue as to why didnt see announced DVT :-)

Was a very well presented exhibition though - most friendly lot, child had a great time.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"Melbournian" wrote

But who will buy them with an RRP of GBP49.99?

All my customers have laughed.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

well Ive pre-ordered 3 (and yes Id pre-ordered the Dapol/Rail Express version too, though its clear Dapol obviously had wind of this in development which is why they canned the project)

and theres plenty of livery scope for Hornby, Hull trains BR blue version, WSMR, NXEA, NXEC (maybe), Intercity executive in the future.

considering the version hornby have come from, some gawdawful Mk4 corruption (that sold rrp for about 18 IIRC), to have a RtR Mk3 dvt, with working lights, thats detailed, which along with the 125 sets must hint towards a new set of detailed mk3 coaches to come, maybe even new electrics.

Ill happily pay rrp49.99, of course I wont because Ill goto a box shifter and pay considerably less

well maybe alot of your customers just arent interested in the modern era :)

RH

Reply to
robbiehead

This replaces the one in the 225 packs, does it?

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"John Turner" wrote in news:8fKdnfGr3 snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

Yes, but it won't actually SELL for that price. eg R2766 RRP GBP 49.99 selling price at a popular online shop GBP39 R2769 as above R2755 RRp GBP 49.99, SP GBP44

So it would be fair to assume that the real price will be between 5 and 10 pounds cheaper. Given newer coaches are going for between 15 and 33 pounds (C/C Gresleys and maroon Stanier coaches - are the Gresleys THAT poor a seller that they need to be sold that cheaply?), 40 pounds for lighting, opening cab doors etc doesn't seem all that bad. Or if it is unreasonable, wait a few months for the price to drop and get one then...;)

Reply to
Melbournian

That's the price* of a day-return in the carriages behind the real ones from Manningtree !

And it does seem a lot for a coach with a sloped end.

(*) Full price, peak times, vague chance of a discount if travelling off-peak booked weeks in advance.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

You know actually for the projected market that Hornby have doubtless research I think it's a decent price. There won't be many units shifted so I think the price is OK. Don't forget it's a business not a Hobby.

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Wilson

Dapol sell the N gauge version for about GBP22. It would be equiv to a dummy car from a 125 set, and Hornby shift those sets for about GBP120, youd assume at least 2/3rds of that is taken by the power car.

It doesnt seem a bad price.

RH

Reply to
robbiehead

It seems a hell of a lot of money for a coach, to me!

ROB

Reply to
Robert Flint

Well i'd be interested to know what their product run is. Any ideas John T?

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Wilson

No, the one in the 225 pack is a Mark 4 DVT.

ROB

Reply to
Robert Flint

"Rob Wilson" wrote

No idea at all.

I still think it's a ridiculously high (starting) price for a non-powered item, but then Hornby seem to have been pushing prices higher & higher and there's little doubt that sales of some of their products is tailing off as a result.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

is it a coach or a non powered loco. Whichever it is though wouldnt have thought it would sell in as many units as a coach, more like a loco in that you only want one per train. Does that justify a higher price ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

If the Answer is yes does that mean Brake vans can be sold at a higher price because generally there was only one at the end of a goods train?

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Possibly, but with nowhere near such a premium. Although only one per train they are likely to be the same for all frieght trains on a layout at any one time, include steam, diesel and electric whereas the DVT was specific to high speed passenger electric. Also the average brake would tend to cover a wide era per livery. Now if you were talking Sharks then thats different - arent they high price ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Price = Cost of Production + Overheads + Margin --------------------------------------- Volume Sales

In another post by John it says "current scene" modellers only account for 4.6% of the market, which implies sales will be rather on the low side, whereas a BR 20T brake van would be of interest to 62% of modellers (ignoring livery changes towards the end) which implies rather higher sales.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

Yes, if it means demand is lower than for a similarly sized and detailed model. It's all down to economies of scale and the problem that tooling costs need to be recovered over a much smaller production run.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

"simon" wrote

The Shark ploughing vans have an RRP of up to GBP15.99. That to me is a fair price for a high-quality 4-wheel item. Double it for a bogie vehicle and I'd say a reasonable RRP for a nice model of a DVT ought to be around GBP35.00.

Conversely the newly released and really superb Bachmann BR Cattle Wagon is just GBP7.60.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

OIC. Not really into modern outline, me :-)

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?