I'm a big dope

I have a 4 year old ThermalArc Predator Honda powered (20hp gas engine) welder/generator with very low hours. I haven't fired it up in about a year and a half. I was cleanning it up and trying to recharge the battery with my HD charger/starter when I tried to see if it would start. I put the starter on 125amps, but not a sound when I pushed the start button?? I let it charge a couple of more hours and tried again, nothing. I then checked the connection from the charger to the battery and realized that I had put the cables on backwards (reverse polarity) yes, I'm a dope! I gave up for the day and decided to try tomorrow with a new battery. My question is...did I due any harm to either the Honda engine of the TA Predator welder/generator by reversing the polarity? I am especially concerned because I used the high current "starter" settings on my charger when I tried starting. Any help or suggestions welcome. rick

Reply to
semidemiurge

I would be hugely surprised if it turned out that you damaged your welder. That DC starter solenoid probably did not engage at all with the polarity reversed. Worst of the worst case may be that you damaged that solenoid, highly unlikely though.

The battery, though, is another story.

Ignoramus5766

I had a chance to download and look over the electrical schematic of the engine and welder and I think you are spot on on your comment. I replaced the battery and the engine now cranks but still doesn't start. I drained the gas tank, replaced with fresh fuel, checked the fuel filters, cleaned the carb, replaced the plugs, checked the oil level and air filter; but it still wont start, very frustrating! I'm not sure what to try next? rick

Ignoramus5766 wrote:

Reply to
semidemiurge

You may have fried the (presumably) electronic ignition :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Do you have spark? And check the timing.

Reply to
newsguy

Snicker - let us hope it was like me :

I forgot the choke on the other side of the machine!!! Put it in the start mode and zoom. I almost pulled my arm off until I got a brain to really look it over - all sides since last time.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

semidemiurge wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Will it try to run if you give it a shot of starting fluid? If so, the orifices in the carb might be gunked up from the old fuel. This has happened to me more than once. Jim

Reply to
JDS

Um, how about listing the symptoms. Does it crank, does it make noises like some fuel is firing, is the fuel coming to the carb, does it start if you simply add a spoon of gas to the carb, etc etc.

Ignoramus18660

It needs three things to run: Fuel in the cylinder, compression, and spark. What is missing?

Pull the plug and attach the plug wire. Lay it against a ground point, Crank it and see if there is a spark. If not, you probably damaged the ignition circuit.

Put your finger over the plug hole and crank. Do you get pressure?

Spray some starting fluid in the carburetor and crank. Does it fire?

Try these and see what you find.

Tom

Reply to
Tom M

Well the story gets even better :) I bit the bullet and pulled the carb, it wasn't very dirty but I cleaned thoroughly. I thought I would try testing the fuel shutoff solenoid by connecting it directly to the battery and it would not energize when directly connected. I got the multimeter out and decided to test the battery6 volts!!! I had been sold a 6volt battery not a 12 volt! The battery was smaller than a normal automotive battery so the salesman must have gone on size only. This would also explain why the fuel gage wasn't working properly (it apparently needed 12 v). The funny thing is that the battery cranked the engine fine and it would sound like it was almost ready to fire up. The 6v just wasn't enough to energize the fuel cutoff solenoid. So after exchanging the battery it fired right-up ;) The battery label had no indication as to its voltage, which I thought was strange. It was a good learning experience despite all the waisted time and effort. Thanks for everyone's help and input. rick

Reply to
semidemiurge

I thought that fuel shutoff solenoids were on diesel engines only???

(I have one in my Onan DJE generator).

Congrats!!!

Ignoramus18660

Reply to
semidemiurge

Why would it care? Although there's a bit of residual magnetisation in those things, they're just soft iron cores, not alnico.

Reply to
Andy Dingley