Building an N gauge 4300 class question

My modelling area is around Taunton 1955-1965 and the 4300 class was heavily used for the Barnstaple trains. Grafar don't sell any - which is nice. I took a look at their Midland crab which is the only 2-6-0 loco they sell and wondered whether to tackle the conversion.

I wouldn't be counting rivets but I would have to at least modify the running plate to be horizontal rather than stepped and rotate the cylinders so they are not angled downwards, other than that I think it should be similar enough.

Can anyone tell me whether attempting this in N gauge with a decent amount of mechanical skills and tools is worthwhile. I assume it would be much easier than a scratchbuild but I don't want to shell out on the loco and c*ck it up by assuming it is much easier than it is to move things that are all joined in a casting.

Thanks

Luke

Reply to
Luke Briner

P&D Marsh do a kit. I built one many years ago and believe it is still available. It goes on a modified Farish/Bachmann chassis. Much easier than converting a Crab.

Sandy Saunders

Reply to
Sandy Saunders