Caledonian Light Blue Locos

Hi I am wanting to respray a 2-6-4 tank engine in the Caledonian Railways livery. Are they gloss finish or are they matt finish? Can anybody help please? Many thanks Roger.

Reply to
Barbara Mitchell

The only 2-6-4 tank to carry Caledonian blue that I know of was the one of the pair of ex-lM&S Fairburns on the Lakeside and Haverthwaite in the early 1970s. It was painted in the lighter Perth-works blue rather than Glasgow Prussian blue and was - from memory and the couple of pictures I took of it - pretty shiny. If you use an eggshell finish you'd not be far out.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Why???

Reply to
Michael

Perhaps because Roger saw a preserved Fairburn 2-6-4 painted in that livery on the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway and felt he would like a model of it?

I thought it was an attractive combination when I rode behind it.

Isn't that what the hobby is all about?

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

On 18/02/2006 21:48, Christopher A. Lee said,

I'd better not mention that if I ever get my S&D 7F built, it will be painted in lined Prussian Blue, because that's what the West Somerset Railway have done!

It's my model!!!!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Reply to
Michael

"Paul Boyd" wrote

This is not intended in any way as criticism, but did the 7Fs ever get any livery other than black?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

No, they were always unlined black under the S&D, the LMS and BR(LMR).

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

"David Costigan" wrote

Thank you, it must be the WSR example that confused me.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

On 19/02/2006 10:51, John Turner said,

No - except in preservation!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Reply to
Barbara Mitchell

Reply to
Barbara Mitchell

Dunno what a .py file is, but the link works.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

I would reckon that the only picture of a Caledonian tank loco in colour you are likely to see is of the preserved 0-4-4T, No.419 at the Boness and Kinneil Railway.

About 1/3 way down the page.

And I suspect that it is a modern day equivalent of the lighter blue.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

.py file is a text file containing Python code, Python being a programming language; which is why the site says it wont work on IE.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Ken Parkes said the following on 20/02/2006 23:13:

I saw the picture, but got told that my browser wouldn't handle it correctly, and suggested, amongst others, that I use Firefox. I was using Firefox...

Reply to
Paul Boyd

In message , Paul Boyd writes

Firefox will display the picture. This typical [but excellent] piece of free software requires a plug in extension, easily available off the web.

Firefox is very easily customisable, Unlike Thunderbird [it's companion mailer], an unmitigated piece of half complete crap if ever there was one :0)

Strangely Mozilla, the complete suite from which Firefox escaped has a number of the additional 'plug in extensions already incorporated. Not that I have tried the MS Windows version yet.

Cheers.

Reply to
Roy

Got it in one - half complete! But when it's finished it should be better and faster, though I don't understand why people need a mailer on a browser, horses for courses in my little world.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

When one has over 300+ e-mails a day arriving that need redirecting into a dozen specific folders, each with its own signature files and routing profile, a decent mailer becomes essential. When a number of these folders are further required to deal with encrypted mail and an individually keyed security system, no browser could possibly deal with the level of sophistication required. Okay maybe for the simple hobbyist, the browser will do, but even then properly threaded Usenet downloads combined with the odd mailing list and a few individual e-mails quickly become problematic. One of the great problems with the Pegasus mailer is that its a comprehensive mailer that has great difficulty dealing with threaded news items in any simple short form way. Turnpike seems the only current MS Windows solution at the present time. Unfortunately it cannot be obtained packaged with the PGP plug in anymore :0(

Cheers.

Reply to
Roy

Roy said the following on 23/02/2006 00:49:

You forgot to mention RSS feeds. Thunderbird handles that nicely, OE hasn't got a clue what RSS is!

Reply to
Paul Boyd