need a forum

anyone suggest a good forum for a returnee to modern image modelling? (oo gauge)?

cheers

Rob

Reply to
Rob

"Rob" wrote

Try either (or both of):-

John.

Reply to
John Turner

DEMU has a pretty active modern image, well diesel forum. Trouble is you need to be a member of DEMU to join, but like you, i too am new to modern image modelling (i model 2002 - 06+ roughy) and find it very usefull.

As John said, Mod mod and Dand e are also good.

Reply to
Piemanlarger

What the hell is a forum?

Reply to
Alan Holmes

On 18/02/2006 21:48, Alan Holmes said,

Is this a rhetorical question? Seems a bit of an odd thing to ask on a forum!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

It's place where people can discuss exactly the same things as they do here, except they have to sign up which makes them think they are special. Also if a small clique of posters objects to your opinion they can ban you from posting.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , Alan Holmes writes

It's a Roman market place.

Next.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

If you think this is a forum you're in the wrong place :)

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

"Ken Parkes" wrote

I think that's a bit pedantic Ken, or maybe you can fully explain the difference?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Reply to
titans

John Turner said the following on 21/02/2006 00:05:

Well, I guess this isn't a Roman market-place :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Well I am a lot pedantic. But I was hinting that Paul might do some checking. Unlike the Roman version our Forums (to be PC) normally require booking in, even if there is no fee. The practice has crossed to internet Forums. It is necessary to register and provide a valid address, and some request you to think up a password, others provide one via email. They are moderated, some suffocatingly so, and will happily dump mail they consider innapropriate. It is necessary to login to read or send, though some Forums will send packets of messages to your email address so that you don't have to be online to search for things that interest you. News groups like this one are rarely moderated so you have to put up with me and Jerry in obnoxious mode, or learn how to filter us out. And there is no guarantee we are who we say we are. It could be argued that you are less likely to get a "bum steer" on a Forum but my experience is that a large news group like this provides its own correctors. At the technical level news groups and forums use different protocols for connectivity.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

On 22/02/2006 21:45, Ken Parkes said,

I think you are doing yourself an injustice by lumping yourself in with Jerry! You aren't filtered (and don't need to be), whereas Jerry is by an awful lot of people!

At the user level, a forum is just a way of lots of people "meeting" and discussing things, such as on a newsgroup. I am also a member of several forums in the strictest sense, but I would also count this group as a forum in the looser sense.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I prefer to encourage people to know a spade from a shovel. They are more likely to recognize cold steel on their backside when they come up against Yahoo and MS :)

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

On 23/02/2006 21:17, Ken Parkes said,

And for those, like me, who didn't know the difference...

A shovel has what's called a lift, or "gooseneck," right behind the blade. The gooseneck is designed to lift the handle of the shovel at an angle so that when the blade is laid on the ground, the end of the handle hits somewhere between your knee and the top of your thigh.

Unlike a shovel, a spade has no lift. Instead, when the tool is laid on the ground, the handle lies flat rather than rising to mid-thigh. Spades are meant for working the soil--prying and loosening dirt--not moving it.

Who says we don't learn things in this hobby????

Reply to
Paul Boyd

There's no guarantee anyone registered with a forum is who they say they are. Many use pseudonyms. I've read as many objectionable posts in moderated fourms as on Usenet. The so-called moderator has turned a blind-eye to these until I've retaliated in kind and then been promptly banned myself. Usenet is at least a true democracy, no-one can be banned from here merely for having a different opinion to the majority.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

Agreed and its just one of the reasons why I use this group.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Well done Paul. Know you know which to place on the lineside and which to put in the station master's garden. Then there's the trenching tool.....

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Nothing to stop you using a pseudonym, but you have to provide a valid email address for all the forums I lurk. And you either know some pretty odd forums or you've been very lucky in your choice of newsgroups, your experience is the opposite of mine. You can be banned from moderated newsgroups, but they are fairly uncommon.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

But why on earth would you *want* to hit yourself between the knee and the thigh? Why would a shovel be designed to do that? And why would anyone buy one, when they can get a spade instead, that just lies flat on the ground instead of rising to hit you?

I definitely feel I've wandered into an alien universe today.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W