need a forum

"Ken Parkes" wrote

My ISP (Kingston Communications in Hull) have been known to close internet accounts following postings on one of their local UNMODERATED groups.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Steve W said the following on 24/02/2006 23:26:

You and me both :-) That text was just cut'n'pasted from a gardening website!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Am I right in thinking they were formed by the privatization of Hull's Council-owned telephone system? They probably feel the need to retain some community credibility.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

"Retain some community credibility" would be political shorthand for "exile writers who do not conform to Stalinist orthodoxy"?

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

"Ken Parkes" wrote

Hull City Council still hold the majority stake in Kingston Communications although there is currently a bid from the Carlyle Group to buy the company.

'Community credibilty' currently equates to what is probably amongst the most expensive broadband subscription fees in the UK. I pay £24.99 monthly for a 1Mbps uncapped service.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

That's almost the same as Demon's subscription, except mine is 2Mb/s and I get 20 MB of web space thrown in. At least I don't have to pay this myself, as my employer pays it for me (and, yes, before anyone asks, it goes on my P11D etc., so I do pay tax on it).

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

Ah yes, but KC also have a 2Mb service and that's £29.99 a month!!!

I should add that the KC email service also works - occasionally!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I pay CAD40 (GBP20) for a 5 Mbps cable connection. For an extra $20/£10 you can get 10 Mbps. The modem rental is included.

Reply to
MartinS

Which is twice the speed that I get, and the same price. Consider yourself lucky. :¬P

Then again, getting an actually uncapped service seems to be ridiculously difficult now, unless you can get an LLU based service. All ISPs providing ADSL via BT's infrastructure seems to have either an overt cap, or a stealth cap.

James Moody

Reply to
James Moody

Ten pounds a month for moderating unmoderated groups - sounds like a bargain:)

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Did you see Hitchens on Channel 4 tonight?

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

"James Moody" wrote

Maybe you should be looking at BT - there service appears much cheaper than is available in Hull where BT will not operate.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Used to be that Hull pay phones were still 2d when the GPO charged 4d.

Reply to
MartinS

Demon doesn't

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In message , John Turner writes

I thought BT were not allowed to operate in Hull.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

Anyone can operate in Hull, it's whether Kingston Communications make it sufficiently attractive for them to use their network of lines.

As it happens BT operate a business exchange in Hull, but do not find it viable to compete with KC for private or internet business.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"MartinS" wrote

Not any more.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Why do you need an uncapped service?

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

The North Koreans send fraternal greetings to the People's Republic of Kingston. You are reaping the benefits of a pre-1964 situation in all its glory. Long Live Chairman Kim!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

"Steve W" wrote

I guess so there is no limit to the amount of data you can download from the internet. A capped service rather negates the benefits of broadband.

John.

Reply to
John Turner