"Cattle shown to align north-south "

Greg.Procter wrote:

Greg, as usual your habit of narrow literalist reading has made you posit a disagreement or mistake or whatever where there is none. The context of my comment was "cattle tend to align their bodies in a north-south direction", and that's what I denied, having grown up in the country, and having observed lots of cows, which line up in all sorts of ways, sometimes even north-south.
--
Wolf Kirchmeir

It's an interesting idea, but there's a lot of other "causes" that may play a part - do fields tend to have gates in the north/south ends, do farms tend to be to the north/south of their fields (cows wait patiently, often looking for the farmer to come out at milking time and/or feeding), does a cow prefer to lie with it's side to the prevailing weather, and probably a lot of other things - I think making the magnetic connection might be jumping to conclusions a bit!
Cheers Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
I have become... comfortably numb

Its true - honest. Tis a relic behaviour pattern from when cattle used to migrate. They use the earths magnetic field just the same as homing pigeons. It also explains the cows normal confused expression - they ponder 'why am I looking over that way all the time, all I can see is Maudes* bottom and its looking a bit grimy?'. How do they know that hunters thousands of years ago didnt know about cattle orientation - as far as am aware theyre hasnt been much of a need to hunt cattle of late ? Has anyone checked out bison or buffulo ?
*insert favorite name here
Cheers, Simon

Do these "experts" say anything about heads north or heads south or are they equally split? Absolutely vital information. If I am to go hunting cows I would rather shoot an arrow up its bottom than face its horns.
George
George

Think you should also consider the relative position and orientation of the farmer. Otherwise you might get more than an arrow up your bottom !
Cheers, Simon
"kim" wrote

Strange - I once had my bed aligned in a north-south direction, or it could have been south-north depending upon how much alcohol I'd consumed.
I guess a significant proportion of the world's population could claim the same orientation, and rumour has it that Google Earth will insist on everyone removing their house roofs so that they can check out this new claim.
John.