Converting RTR Steam Locos to 18.83 gauge

"Martin Wynne"

See Union Pacific about what the future may bring.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

In message , Martin Wynne writes

No more crazy than OO - 4 mm : 1 ft scale models running on 3.5 mm : 1 ft scale track.

Reply to
John Sullivan

They do that only if you use Peco track, and they look ridiculous when so doing.

On the other hand 00 finescale track uses 4mm scale rail,

4mm scale sleepers at 4mm scale spacings and 4mm scale chairs and fixings. Only the distance between the rails is not to 4mm scale.

Martin.

---------- email: snipped-for-privacy@templot.com web:

Martin Wynne

Which kinda means OO Finescale modellers just model to a narrower gauge -

4ft 1.5 inches rather than 4ft 8.5... :-)

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

In message , Ian J. writes

Sorry to reply to Martin via Ian's message, but I haven't received Martin's message yet - oh, the wonders of Usenet!

Really? I use Hornby flex and semi-flex track (not made by Peco) and that looks very wrong also.

Pray tell, who makes OO finescale flexible track?

Reply to
John Sullivan

Hi John,

For C&L flexitrack see:

For SMP/Scaleway flexitrack see:

regards,

Martin.

---------- email: snipped-for-privacy@templot.com web:

Martin Wynne

That is an oxymoron, you are either adopting 18.83 (P4 / S4) or you are not,

18.83 is a *standard* - the / quality / of modelling is another matter all together...
Reply to
Jerry.

SMP make some - its designed to match their point kits. Not sure of the width of sleepers, etc, but it is code 75.

Reply to
John Ruddy

Er, C&L do. Exactoscale do the components for it, though I'm not sure they do it ready assembled...

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

I think you'll find you have some of the same problems with 'finescale 00' as you would with 18.83 ie: the track needs to be specially constructed to cope with the finer tyres and wheel flanges and so avoid derailments.

(kim)

Reply to
KimPateman

Track does not necessarily need to be specially constructed - it depends how "finescale" you want to go. Peco code75 finescale track does a good job - more than once was I asked if my layout was EM........... All the r-t-r stuff we had was happy, except for some of the older Lima items and the Hornby 142's that just needed their wheels easing out as the back-to-back was a bit narrow.

Incidentally all the r-t-r stock I've bought in the last two years is also more than happy with my other little finescale layout, admittedly built from C&L components and also drawn numerous "is that EM?" comments.

Just to add further discussion to the debate - some of my newer purchases are not happy with old "universal" 00 trackage!!

however, let's not get carried away - remember that the whole model railway hobby is about compromise - it's just how much compromise you're prepared to allow.

It's MY train set :-)

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

Says more about the observer than about your layout Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove