Dapol / Kitmaster Kits

Can anyone tell me something about these kits please? Can they build a working model?

Regards

Peter A

Reply to
Peter Abraham

Simple answer no, harder answer yes. There are some conversion kits that allow you to build a replacement chassis etc. Try Branchlines web site for some like the railbus.

Reply to
Kevin Martin

Err, not quite correct, the rolling stock kits (Kitmaster coaches/wagons, Dapol wagons) can be built as working models if one drills out the axle box to take brass bearings and pin-point wheel set. The BR 16t mineral wagon is still one of the best models around IMO.

Reply to
Jerry

Yes , this is what causes me some confusion, I take it that the steam outline locos are display models with plastic everything.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

steam

Yes, and by modern RTR standards extremely crude, needing a lot of work to even bring them close! Saying that, IIRC the Battle of Britain class used to be a favourite for motorising years ago, due no doubt to the original Tri-ang model being so poor...

Reply to
Jerry

I've got a Kitmaster L.M.S Garratt sitting on my display shelf which I sometimes put onto my layout and push it around with another loco. All the wheels go round, with much squeaking, and the motion moves, but I wouldn't like to put it over too many sets of points. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

The dapol deltic kit can be fitted to a lima deltic chassis quite easily, you just need to file down the fuel tanks so it sits straight.

I understand that the lima 37 bogies are better in terms of scale, but I don't know how well the 37 underframe would fit to the kit or whether lima

37 bogies can be fitted to a deltic chassis.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas